Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:59 AM

Default Re: how to determine handranges?

I'm a relative newbie to poker, though in my short time I've done well so far. So now trying to take the game more seriously and so I just heard about this site.

Anyways, are these charts actually valuable? And do you guys actually calculate (or at least mathematically estimate) the % of hands each person plays? I pay attention to the hands players show down, and also if they are playing a lot of hands or not...but its basically just they play a lot or med or few.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And do you guys actually calculate (or at least mathematically estimate) the % of hands each person plays?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I only play 1 table at a time. I have pokerstove open. so say you're at my table and open/raise UTG with T9s. I simply find the range it falls in on pokerstove (19.5%)

I then put the following in for notes on you:

3/6 6 way
UTG:
open/raise w/T9s (19.5%)

If there is a showdown, I of course put notes on your opponents with what they called you with and what seat they were at.

The info builds up after awhile.

Never realized that those 2 yrs in high school, chasing girlz in the typing classes would pay off throughout the rest of my life. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

When you're multi-tabling, it is easy to miss UTG limping in with AA/AKs etc, but open/raising with KQo/s

I also keeps notes like: "bets his J hi flush draws on Flop into 3 when 1st 2 act" "doesn't bet str8 draws on Flop into 3"
Try doing that while playing 4 tables.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:29 AM

Some thoughts on the hand ranges versus numbers. I remember a valid point by Bill Chen, something like this...

Assume we have 1,210 hands noted on a player. Now you would THINK that is more than enough to get some decent ranges down right, but it really isn't.

Let's say we are playing full ring, so 121 of those will be from UTG positions. If he raises 10%, then using Sklansky's old handy dandy tables from memory, that puts us on AT+, KQ,77+

Now even assuming that range is DEAD accurate for every player in the world with that percentage, there is another cantor in the matter. On a 95% confidance interval we have leeway of 4% to 16% of hands. So we still don't have close to the hands we really need. This leeway range gives us from AK, AQs+ TT+ on the tight 4% to the AT+ KJ+ QJ TJ T9 66+ on the looser 16% range.

That's a lot of error...
Old 06-12-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Try doing that while playing 4 tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try tripling your hourly through good note taking