Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 04:03 AM

Default Re: So what if I had a vision from God?

Well, it's a good thing we passed the days when they stoned people. Actually...
Old 06-07-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it says in the bible if you claim to be a prophet and you make a prediciton and your prediction is false then you are put to death.

so I guess if you are always right then you got no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just make predictions with no date on them. People will be able to shoehorn anything to fit your prophecies hundreds of years later if they want to.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:22 AM

You believe things because your brain is in a certain "belief state." Which is more likely, God is telling you to do X, Y, Z because he is too lazy to do it himself, or that your brain is simply in a belief state divorced from reality. I have thought/believed/experienced many wild things after ingesting certain chemicals. I did not believe I had become one with a cosmos, especially one where everything eats everything else, rather I thought myself, isn't it interesting what happens to the brain when you disrupt its normal function.

See, e.g., THE RIGHT TEMPORAL LOBE AND ASSOCIATED LIMBIC LOBE STRUCTURES AS THE BIOLOGICAL INTERFACE WITH AN INTERCONNECTED UNIVERSE

THE BIOLOGICAL BASIS OF RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCES, OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCES AND NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCES

The mesial right temporal lobe, hippocampus, and associated limbic lobe structures are implicated as the biological substrates of out of body and religious experiences. The evidence for this includes studies of temporal lobe pathology, direct electrical stimulation studies, studies of temporal lobe epileptics, experimental studies of near death experiences(NDEs), and clinical studies comparing ketamine and LSD experiences and the actions of associated neurotransmitters within the human brain.

Early case reports demonstrated that tumors in the temporal regions were often associated with visual hallucinations. These hallucinations included visions of "a strange looking wicked looking woman in a dress", to "pictured scenes and mirages", to flashes of light and luminous objects.(Henschen 1925, Jackson 1889-90) For example, one report of a boy with a cystic glioma in the right temporal lobe resulted in a vivid three dimensional vision of a man dressed in white.(Cushing 1921). Kennedy was one of the first to identify vividly real hallucinations of an audio-visual nature, localized outside of the body as being temporal lobe in origin.(Kennedy 1911). ect, etc,...
Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Experienced this vision not under influence of drugs?

That's the problem. You NEED drugs. Start with lithium.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:08 PM

what if he was just appearing to complain about the 2012 olympics logo?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Then we're doomed!

On another note, how many times has the world supposed to have ended? Screw you nostradmus!