Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Shoving over a neatly-stacked pot: normal practice or bad etiquett

i knock over my chips on purpose during during spells just to relive the joy of stacking...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 PM

I have never seen a dealer stack a pot, at least in hold 'em. Of course, my experience is limited to Canterbury here in Minnesota and Mirage, Bellagio, and MGM when I was in Vegas.

I too love stacking chips. I try not to slow it down if I drag a huge pot, but even that is part of the fun. "Sorry for the hold-up guys, I'm not used to this" tends to keep people laughing even though my win holds up the hand for 2 seconds.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Shoving over a neatly-stacked pot: normal practice or bad etiquette?

The only time a dealer will stack a pot and give it to you stacked is in a split pot game.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When a dealer ships me stacks, I knock them over just so I can stack them back up :-D.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Actually I don't.... I just wanted to do a FYP.

[ QUOTE ]
The only time a dealer will stack a pot and give it to you stacked is in a split pot game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes the chips will come into the middle already stacked such as when a player announces all-in and is called by an opponent, then the stacks are matched up as that is the quickest and best way to make them equal.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 AM

I also prefer the dealer shipping the pot in messy form. One of the little joys of poker is stacking chips you just won.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never seen a dealer stack a pot, at least in hold 'em. Of course, my experience is limited to Canterbury here in Minnesota and Mirage, Bellagio, and MGM when I was in Vegas.

I too love stacking chips. I try not to slow it down if I drag a huge pot, but even that is part of the fun. "Sorry for the hold-up guys, I'm not used to this" tends to keep people laughing even though my win holds up the hand for 2 seconds.

[/ QUOTE ]

While dealers usually don't stack the pot, some dealers will leave chips in stacks. Example Player A bets a stack and Player B calls, some dealers will just bring in two stacks and leave them stacked up.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:44 AM

I try to push the stacks to the winner intact, but I suck at that. As soon as they start to topple, I quit being dainty, and start shoving messy piles to the winner.

Winner just won a mammoth pot, so even if he is usually an incessant complainer, he finds it hard to complain.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:59 AM

I never see stacks in the pot except in split pot games. I mostly play limit though. I can see where stacks might be bet and pulled in in NL games, especially larger ones.

I think stacks should get knocked over as the pot is pulled in. I know to keep count of the pot without it being stacked, so keeping it unstacked gives me that tiny bit of advantage over players that don't.

Is the pot generally stacked in PL games, or does the dealer just keep track?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never see stacks in the pot except in split pot games. I mostly play limit though. I can see where stacks might be bet and pulled in in NL games, especially larger ones.

I think stacks should get knocked over as the pot is pulled in. I know to keep count of the pot without it being stacked, so keeping it unstacked gives me that tiny bit of advantage over players that don't.

Is the pot generally stacked in PL games, or does the dealer just keep track?

[/ QUOTE ]

IN NL stacks are generally knocked over as brought in, except that in a case of a river bet and call (but some dealers do tend to leave stacks up)

In PL game sthe chips are not generally stacked up, the dealer simply keeps track. I actually get a bit annoyed when someone makes reference to a dealer counting the pot for a player. The dealer should never have to count the pot, he should already know what is there.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Shoving over a neatly-stacked pot: normal practice or bad etiquette?

Maybe you should work as a dealer for a while. They are human and as well the more deals they get in, the more money they can potentially earn. The dealer's job is to shove the chips towards the winner and that's it. I don't even know why they were stacked in the first place. Most pots are a mixed pile of chips.

Besides, there is nothing better than getting cards while you have a mess of chips in front of you and tossing out a couple into the pot nonchalontly and continue stacking. Now that's intimidating.