Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Re: 50NL floating a LAG

I think it would have been an extremely standard play to just follow up your float with the typical (yes, it IS typical to bet the turn after floating the flop) turn bet. If you wouldn't EVER do this with any made hand (which I don't believe) you should start, especially if you think villain knows you would never do this with a made hand. I think that it would often win the pot against the TT/JJ hands.

Edit: You are thinking WAY TOO MANY LEVELS AHEAD! You say you would never bet the turn with AK because he would never call with a worse hand. Well, you don't have AK here, so you are either wrong to not bet AK or you are wrong to not bet 88.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:36 AM

not in a reraised pot. if you do this, bet the turn to fold out TT-QQ
Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Typically when you float, you bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Typically, I like to represent a hand when I bluff, and I'm never betting a made hand on the turn after he checks to me, and I'm pretty sure this villain is smart enough to know that. Refer to my poobah post if you wonder why.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you never intend to bet the turn after he checks to you, why are you floating? Isn't the idea behind floating that you call the flop with the intention of attempting to take it away on the turn?

Also, if villain knows what you think he knows, shouldn't you be worried at how transparent your play is?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:39 AM

you say

[ QUOTE ]
If you advocate folding preflop, keep in mind that villain is 3betting AJo+, maybe even ATs+, 88+, KQs~ish range so we're not calling for pure set value.

[/ QUOTE ]

and yet you turn your hand perfectly into a bluff on the river with your bet. I think you have repped a K pretty well here and you have a good chance of winning the pot, but you have just about the same chance by checking behind with no risk.

You also have to consider his calling range given that you did not bet the turn, and thus what YOUR range is likely to be. Do you think he folds TT-QQ on this river? Because those are the hands which will beat you if you check behind, against everything else you take the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
I almost always check AK on turn on this dry board, because I don't ever see him calling with anything I beat and would rather let him bluff at the pot while underrepping strength of my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is sorta wierd in this case, because you DONT hold AK, but the plan in checking is to let him bluff the river, but then you cant call for value, because you have 88? so if he HAD bet this river, you push?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:43 AM

i'd probably look you up with TT-QQ.

this looks more like a bad thin valuebet to me, if you think he might also call with 44,55,77
Old 06-07-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd probably look you up with TT-QQ.

this looks more like a bad thin valuebet to me, if you think he might also call with 44,55,77

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, this is why i advocate checking behind. I think that TT-QQ is pretty likely to look you up here, which is why this is such a great line when you DO have AK.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:51 AM

Grunch,

This would be a good value bet with QQ.
As a bluff, I dont like it.
I'd look you up with better hands all day long.