Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM

Default paul phillips\' run log

anyone see much benefit in this training routine? it's from paul phillips' blog. i was surprised to read the details and dont see much benefit. well actually i see a slow benefit - seems there would be much more effecient ways to train.

people on his blog politely questioned the trainer's routine and paul was pretty rude and didnt want to hear a word of it. seems he thinks his trainer is great apparently.

am i missing something?

I invested in a trainer to see what I can do about my physical condition. [...] I figured worst case I could do a seven minute mile. Then he dropped the bombshell: "You have to keep your heart rate under 150 the whole way."

Turns out my heart rate flies over 100 every time I blink. To keep it under 150 I had to lumber along half briskly walking and half jogging as if making my way through a vat of new england clam chowder. [...] I logged a spectacular 14:14 mile even though I drifted over 150 several times. The trainer says I have to keep doing this until my mile time flattens out and then I can raise my heart rate. Brutal.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: paul phillips\' run log

bwana, it's a training tool (or philosophy) for runners to improve their cardio base and therefore long slow distance (LSD) running times.

A long thread on Cool Running about low HR training

If you search around google with "Maffetone" "training" "heart rate" you should find some info.

To sum it up, low HR training is about training the aerobic metabolic pathway. As your HR climbs higher, your body starts to rely on the anaerobic energy system. What a lot of long distance runners find is that their aerobic fitness is actually not that great and it causes them to bonk early, since they've trained their metabolism to rely more heavily on anaerobic fuel.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bwana, it's a training tool (or philosophy) for runners to improve their cardio base and therefore long slow distance (LSD) running times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Skunkworks, just want to make the slight correction in that its a tool runners use to improve their racing times for any distance with an overwhelmingly aerobic vs anaerobic component. Alan Webb has used this type of training in base building for races as short as 800m.

A couple of things to note and some of my personal thoughts:

-It's a base building phase of training (typically ~3 months), not the entire package or a system to be continued indefinitely.

-It's been shown not to be that effective for people under 25.

-It is intended specifically for people looking to compete in aerobic oriented events. You should expect to lose some pure speed, strength, power, and lean mass, although I don't think anyone has ever tried to quantify the magnitude of these losses during a typical aerobic base building phase. That's a bit frustrating to anyone who wants to become a better runner but is also interested in overall fitness and would like to have a complete idea of what they're getting into.

-Many people are very strict about doing everything at their target heart rate during base building. Philip Maffetone, the godfather of this whole system, promotes this idea as well, claiming any type of anaerobic work during this period tears down the aerobic gains that are made. I haven't found any real scientific evidence to back this up, and it also seems to contradict HIIT studies showing strong gains in both aerobic and anaerobic systems at the same time.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 PM

I don't know how affective it is racing, but it seems like a pretty crappy way to get a totally detrained and unhealthy person back into decent shape.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 PM

I can see it being used to avoid burning out someone who has been inactive for a long time and is just getting active.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:29 PM

It's targeted for aerobic fitness only. BreakfastBurrito did a great job of breaking it down.

I do think HIIT does much for improving the efficiency of our aerobic energy system; it does improve VO2 max which is a general sign of an improved cardiovascular system, but we all know how easy it is to confuse cardiovascular fitness with aerobic fitness or use the two terms interchangeably (see: my post above).