Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Playing Fast Confuses Opponents?

I remember in aba20's thread The Well: Aba20 he said that playing fast really confuses opponents. What was meant by this? Does playing fast really confuse the opponents that he is up against? Also, it doesn't seem like he really plays THAT fast based on what I have witnessed. Any thoughts on this?

Jake
Old 06-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Playing Fast Confuses Opponents?

Hi Jake,

I cannot speak for ABA as I do not know him, however playing fast usually does confuse opponents. They think most players with a big hand would wait until the turn to make a big bet.

For example, say you have a hand like AA and the flop comes A95. You act first and bet the pot. Most players will not give you credit for a monster hand because you played it fast.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM

puppy were you talking about the actual speed of action? or fast-playing a hand versus slow-playing it?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:41 PM

He said "Playing your big hands (made and draws) fast and aggressively really confuses your opponents."
Old 06-06-2007, 06:08 PM

I think Mike Gallo's example "AA and the flop comes A95" is a good hand to play fast. People might think you are representing an A, and there's a good chance someone is playing with a big A and play back at you.

Of course you don't want to play any hand fast, like if you flop a real monster like quads on a ragged board. You have to allow some to catch up or you'll get no action at all.

And if you can show down a monster that you played fast, that's even better as then you will be able to take more stabs at pots and people have to wonder if you are just stabbing or fast playing a made hand.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:14 PM

nice first post. if there is a "good chance" that someone holds the case ace, i wonder what kinds of situations you'd qualify as "bad chances".

opponent has case ace = good chance
opponent flopped quads on paired board = decent chance
opponent will make a running royal flush after you flop quads with your pocket nines = bad chance
Old 06-08-2007, 04:47 PM

Ok, I'm still confused by Aba20's comments. Maybe he can chime in. The thing is most people that raise before the flop bet out (continuation bet) when checked to on the flop. Probably like 70% of the time or higher. And if anytime is a good time to bet it's when you have a great hand and it's likely that your opponent does too. I just don't see how this is such a special concept when everyone is expecting the preflop raiser to bet when checked to.

Or does this concept become more important for later streets?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'm still confused by Aba20's comments. Maybe he can chime in. The thing is most people that raise before the flop bet out (continuation bet) when checked to on the flop. Probably like 70% of the time or higher. And if anytime is a good time to bet it's when you have a great hand and it's likely that your opponent does too. I just don't see how this is such a special concept when everyone is expecting the preflop raiser to bet when checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

when you're c-betting the flop hu like 90% of the time, including the times that you have big hands (made or draws), your opponents don't know if you're betting with a good hand or if you're just c-betting with nothing. This is why it's confusing.

A lot of the time, it will cause you to get more action on your big hands because A) playing fast builds a bigger pot; B) your opponents will often play back at you, or make loose calls (eg floating the flop) because they think you're c-betting.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a "special" concept-aba advocates betting out with made hands as a cornerstone to his strategy. Its important because its instinctual to slowplay big made hands, but its a habit that needs to be broken because its not the best way to play.