Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Am I supposed to get away from this TP2K Stars 15k

[ QUOTE ]
dont even think about folding bet on the turn or at least check call and shove river

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? If your going to shove (I wouldn't) - why wait til the river? Your hand has very little chance to improve so why give the free card?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:03 AM

Why are you betting the flop?

Dry board. You fold out hands that we can make $$$ from and keep the ones alive that destroy us.

anyways, I shove this ... lots of Ax, even AQ, AJ ... KK, JJ and such ... only thing that destroy us is A8, A3 and a set. We are well ahead of the total range

get it in

edit ... thought we had AK ... anyways, too late, I shoved [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] still don't bet the flop
Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 AM

okie doke,

MP2 could be calling with A10, AJo, mid pairs (including 1010), so making a standard continuation bet on the flop is just fine if you have been active on flops. You're OOP, so betting now is pretty standard. Yeah, a Q or K MAY help your opponent, but it may scare him as well. Unless you have been playing extremely tight (which you haven't), this is fine. Players will float with worse and you build a pot / get value of 1/2 pot size bets on later streets when they have to guess if you have an "A" or not. Dry board = good here.

As far as this debate with AQ on this board, that's just a fundamental misundersanding of tournament poker, IMO. It's a $10 tournament - the value you get when your opponent calls you down with A10, AJ, A9 and sometimes something ridiculous because he thinks your FOS (1010) far exceeds the value you lose when he every so often has AK or 888. If you don't feel comfortable going to war at these stacks with AQ, then don't raise UTG with it. Or just don't play :-O.

I think betting the turn here is the best option, coatsie is right (even though I hate his [censored] avatar). It's the best way to show that you are double barrel cont. betting here and it's the best way to keep a weak ace in the hand until the river.

Barry
Old 06-06-2007, 09:57 AM

lmao

[ QUOTE ]
coatsie is right (even though I hate his [censored] avatar)

[/ QUOTE ]

army baby does not appreciate this, beware of the wrath foreseen!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lmao

[ QUOTE ]
coatsie is right (even though I hate his [censored] avatar)

[/ QUOTE ]

army baby does not appreciate this, beware of the wrath foreseen!

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, I'm aware - that picture freaks me out man.

Barry
Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a $10 tournament - the value you get when your opponent calls you down with A10, AJ, A9 and sometimes something ridiculous because he thinks your FOS (1010) far exceeds the value you lose when he every so often has AK or 888.

[/ QUOTE ] Well, let's see. Say he'll call you down with A9-AJ. That's 24 hands that you gain value against. If also calls you down with A8, AK, 88 and 33, thats 20 hands that you lose to. He's probably slightly more likely to suck out when behind than you are to suck out when behind (you're almost drawing dead when he has the set). So you're ahead 6:5 which is a nontrivial edge for sure, but hardly "far exceeds". And this guy has at least some history of respecting your c-bets on an ace high board - so his range might not include A9/AT and almost certainly not TT/JJ. I just think that it's close enough to pass up this edge in a tournament when you are relatively comfortable
Old 06-06-2007, 11:24 AM

PS I'm not comfortable going to war OOP with AQ at these stacks - maybe that's a huge leak
Old 06-06-2007, 11:28 AM

No, and it's not even close. People are so loose in these tourneys and call with A x suited so you're way ahead of his range. I would keep betting turn but as is just check raise all in.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:17 PM

I know so often I get paid off by weak aces. I also felt that this was an awkward stack size.

Anyways I didnt post because i lost I posted because I had a "feeling" he had better than AQ and it was just one of those things

Hero raises to t4615</font>, MP1 calls t3415.

River: (t11555) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t11555

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qh Ah (one pair, aces).
MP1 has Kh As (one pair, aces).
Outcome: MP1 wins t11555. </font>
Old 06-06-2007, 12:48 PM

don't forget to put a note on him that he's more than capable of flat calling an utg raise with slick, and will marry the ace. That info may win a huge pot someday. For now, tough spot.