Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 02:47 PM

Default [NL5] TPGK shoved reraised flop...good play?

My reads: Villain has played ~ 2 orbits, only played 3 hands or so hands and one was with me, I floated my overs to his minraise on flop and folded his turn bet. Not alot to go on, but if I call this flop I think the money is going in anyways, so got some really good FE here. He said he put me on AA in chat. I thought for a about 15 seconds then played it up a bit by typing 'alright, let's go then' before shoving. Also showed my hand for metagame.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.05 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $6.00
BB: $2.99
UTG: $5.69
<font color="black">Hero (UTG+1): $14.09</font>
MP1: $10.40
MP2: $6.00
MP3: $4.55
CO: $5.75
BTN: $6.44

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $0.15</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.60</font>, MP1 calls $0.60, 6 folds, UTG calls $0.45

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($1.92) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1.20</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises to $3.25</font>, UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $13.49</font>, MP1 folds

Pot Size: $18.66 ($0.40 Rake)
Old 06-05-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: [NL5] TPGK shoved reraised flop...good play?

Dont like it tbh. I really dont like re-raising with KQs from EP, i much prefer playing that sort of hand in a multi-way pot, i'd just flat call the raise.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:57 PM

TTT
Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 AM

Thanks for the response Teddie.

Just to clarify a little of why I raised here. Basically at NL5 I try to play as much heads up as possible because I think it increases my edge. The exception is when I am playing weaker suited aces, small and medium PP in early or middle position (or late with limpers already), suited connectors and one offs, and when the table is very aggressive and I can let others do the betting for me. This table was pretty tight and I had been there for awhile with a good table image (if there is one at NL5 I suppose). As for the flop play, alot of the time I've actually been laying this down to resistance, but something told me to go with it. I'm just not sure I can play this line too often. I definately think my typing in chat might have gotten in his head and made him doubt his hand if he had one. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2007, 03:34 AM

I don't like it because if MP is any good you are crushed. A good player would really only call in mp1 after a raise and re-raise with a monster, and basically you are bluffing the whole way through. You over rep your hand pre, and you over rep it on the flop, but you have good showdown value.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 AM

Just call. As far as the chat goes, it may have made you do something you would not normally do-just something to think about.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:32 AM

Ripper,

I have made a lot of money (relative to the stakes) off taking advantage of what you did here. You overplayed a top pair hand and you have very little chance to improve. In this instance you got away with it. Your tossing 200bb's in the middle (Effective stacks) on a one pair hand and its not even the nut 1 pair hand (AQ). Nothing is calling you here that doesn't have you crushed. You won this hand through shear aggression and don't get me wrong, aggression is good. You need to pick your spots though. Read this article and then you will see why.

Reverse implied odds
Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ripper,

I have made a lot of money (relative to the stakes) off taking advantage of what you did here. You overplayed a top pair hand and you have very little chance to improve. In this instance you got away with it. Your tossing 200bb's in the middle (Effective stacks) on a one pair hand and its not even the nut 1 pair hand (AQ). Nothing is calling you here that doesn't have you crushed. You won this hand through shear aggression and don't get me wrong, aggression is good. You need to pick your spots though. Read this article and then you will see why.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great point, I learned this the hard way so many times