Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 11:05 AM

Default 200 euro freezeout, Nut flush draw

I was playing in a live 200 euro freezeout last night, which only had about 30 runners. Started with 10k in chips, 30 min levels. i have 21k with around 18ppl left in the tournament.

I was in the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Blinds 150/300. A tight player limps UTG and it looked like he was limping with a strong hand, 5 ppl limp behind him, i complete from the SB, BB checks.

Flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. i check UTG, the original limper bets 1k with a stack of around 25k. Folds to a short stack who pushes allin for 5k total. i decided to flat call the 5k and then the original limper puts me allin. I decided to call becasue by then there was so much in the pot.

The short stack had T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The UTG limper had 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

In retrospect i don't think i should have called but am not sure if i should have folded after the original push allin or after i was put in. Alternatively I could have rereraised allin, but i felt like flat calling would be too strong a play to be put allin if i put my opponent on an over pair. just wondering what you thought about the hand.

Thanks.

Oh the turn gave me a flush, but the river brought another 9 down, giving the man quads.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: 200 euro freezeout, Nut flush draw

Thats a though one. I think flat calling was not so good here.

Let me write it out in number:
preflop: 2400 in pot
bet of 1000 (awesomely bad bet by the UTG with such a drawheavy board and a whole lot of limpers) (pot= 3.4)
raise of 4000 (all in on a draw yay! pot = 7.4)

So now you have to call 4k for the 7.4k pot. The odds seems ok since your ace is probably live aswell but the main problem is that you have 2 people left to act behind you, and one of them beeing strong (thats what you thought (and he was indeed))

You make the call (pot = 11.4k) and he pushes you all in (pot = 11.4k + 16.6k = 28k). I think you should lay it down here. You still have a good stack left (an M of over 30) so why risk it all on a draw?!
You gotta figure your ace is no more out now, the shortstack might be on a heartdraw aswell, and if the UTG pushes with a set, you loose even more outs.

I hope this was somewhat a usefull post.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks, that was indeed pretty helpful although I'm wondering if i should have followed through on my read of the UTG limper for not having a straight and by pushing in over the short stack it could get him to lay down any biggish pair including a set or TT.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:21 PM

I dont think UTG is going to lay down a set no matter what you do. He could, however lay down something like AA so I would rather see a shove from you than a flat call. It is really a tough spot because you have a healthy stack if you just fold, but I think your push will make UTG lay down almost every hand except sets. I would push and be out too, so dont feel too bad!