Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Stategy for VPIP 60-70 villains who bet with any hit...

Sometimes I find villains with a VPIP of 60 or even 70 and a raising % of zero or 1. When I have a big hand, I raise it up preflop (a little bit larger than normal) because my hand is much better than their hand most of the time. But if this type of villain hits something on the flop (which could be anything, even bottompair) he plays it like it is the nuts. How do you play against these type of players?

Say for example you got AQs. Flop comes Q7T. You raised preflop in position and villain (who was the only caller) now donk bets at you, but you just can't put him on a hand. He does this with x7, xT, xQ, 77, TT, JJ, etc. it's very very difficult to put him on a hand, so I don't know what my action should be. If I put in a raise, he will call it and bets the turn (and river) again because in his head he thinks he has the nuts (the problem is that he sometimes has...). So if I put him allin he will call this also and because I can't figure out what hand he has, this can really damage me.

So what to do? Just call, trying to keep the pot small? Wait for a really good hand like trips or better? How to play against these type of players?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Stategy for VPIP 60-70 villains who bet with any hit...

You can't wait for the nuts. You're entering a pot with a better hand than his 90% of the time. Don't bother cont betting (except to mix it up a little) and value bet your good hands. Stick to your reads. If you think he is calling with middle/bottom pair, then value bet him. If you think he got lucky and caught 2pair/set then let it go. Not value betting good but not great hands is losing money against this villain.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 AM

Call is TERRIBLE, you got toppair just stack him! (RAISE!!!!)
Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 AM

I agree if you have TPTK against this kind of guy you should be aggressive, if hes willing to call you down w/ bottom pair or whatever make him pay with 3/4 to pot sized bets. If you hand is vulnerable to draws or whatever go harder or even as zatacka said try to stack him when things are in your favor.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 AM

These are the type of players that I will play for stacks with top pair. I stacked a guy 150bb deep last week with AK on a 67k board (he had K5). If the flop is drawy, I usually raise so I can get it in before a card rolls off that will scare me or him. These type of players are prone to 'protect' their tpwk, or 2nd/3rd pair type hands. If its a dry flop, I might let him do more of the betting but that's really just to mix things up (or if he is short enough that I can call flop/raise turn to get it in). Some loose players will do all the betting for you and others you have to make them call, just figure out which type he is and proceed.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 AM

Be willing to get allin with less than you would normally and play these hands which you want to felt much faster than you normally would. Limp more in position with speculative hands and play TIGHT and FAST postflop. And be patient.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Yesterday I played against two villains of this type. They called and made bets with terrible hands, but against me they suddenly got trips (while I had TPTK and an overpair the second time). So frustrating. Now everytime I'm in a pot with such a villain I think of the worst, allthough I know it is my mind that plays tricks on me and I just have to play it like you all say.

AGGRESSIVE and FAST!! I wrote it on a post-it and attached it on my monitor now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 06-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Remember, dont try to bluff the idiots. In time they will give their money to you without you asking.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:18 PM

The example you gave was pretty simple; you want to get it all in but the question comes down to whether or not you should raise or call.

You can't be afraid of raising with middle or bottom pair against him, either.
Closed Thread