Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Re: How to Dominate $1 and $2 No Limit Hold\'em

whats PNL?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:51 AM

i don't know either, i was guessing maybe pot no limit? is this right somebody?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:59 AM

PNL is Professional No-Limit Hold ’em: Volume I; Learn to Think and Play Like a Professional By Matt Flynn, Sunny Mehta, and Ed Miller -- July 15, 2007

I have called B&N yesterday to return my faded book...BUT I had to prepay for the 2nd copy since they don't stock it...I should hopefully get it by the end of the week and will post if it's any better than the current copy...

I have read about the first 160 pages or so (just finished the position section)...couple of quick comments....first 60 pages or so was about limit history...Felt like this was a bit of overkill...there are tons of limit books...the section could have been a lot shorter and more of a high level overview of limit (if it was even necessary in a NL book)....

Secondly, Sam repeats a lot of what he is writing about...based upon the intro this is intentional...i'm assuming to reinforce concepts...eg...he constantly reinforces in order to "dominate" you must not ever call...raise or fold...not a new concept but one that it very important to his style...also he has the same quote at the start of every section about poker is a people game more so than a card game...assume again this is to focus on the people aspect of poker...

He has a chart of starting hands that he refers to and reprints very frequently ...as one would think ....very extremely tight in the early position...and loosening up (with aggression) closer we move to button...once again nothing new except possibly what he considers "playable" hands...most NL authors don't attempt to put in a chart because it normally "depends"...I give Sam credit for attempting to help out the newer players with "guidelines"...

He uses the same drawing hand example in different positions to show what actions/thoughts should be...alot of the style is to err on the side of caution if encounter aggression and appropriate levels of betting....

a couple of issues/concerns I have noticed which i'm not sure are reflective of the type of 1/2 NL ($300 max) live games I'm accustomed to....In his examples he's assuming a 3x BB opener would be sufficient to get the field except 2 people to fold...A 3x BB bet in the games I play live are nothing more than a pot sweetener and more than likely you'll have 7+ people coming along for the ride...I'll give you an extreme example in a game i just played...limp, raise to 15, call of 15...then i pop it to 40 with pocket kings...the limper and both raisers called the 40...and the original limper called a 40 preflop raise with 85...but it was SOOOOOOTTTTTEEDDDDD.....

NOW MY DISCLAIMER:
I wasn't going to post anything yet b/c I don't think it's fair to review a book without completing it...I'm assuming that the concepts will build on each other and without finishing the book I "may" be making incorrect assumptions without seeing how it all ties together...BUT I know people were looking for some initial impressions so I figured I'd post about what I have read thus far...take it for what it is...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: How to te $1 and $2 No Limit Hold\'em

[ QUOTE ]
Phydaux,

I hope you can agree to most of the above post. I'm afraid, though, that if you ordered the book before today's date, you're going to get one of the faintly printed books.

All those who receive a weak printed version of the book, please return it for a good one; the publisher has been alerted with great vigor.

Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam - I ordered this book yesterday from Amazon. Does that mean I'm likely to receive a faintly printed copy? Thanks. Looking forward to the book and world domination (in that order). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2007, 08:18 PM

c'mon guys, I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and I'm trying to decide what books to take with me...somebody post a complete review pleeeeeeeaassseee........
Old 06-06-2007, 03:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
c'mon guys, I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks and I'm trying to decide what books to take with me...somebody post a complete review pleeeeeeeaassseee........

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 30 pages in. Full review by Monday.

Prognosis so far - Cautiously optimistic.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 30 pages in. Full review by Monday.

Prognosis so far - Cautiously optimistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

i appreciate the real-time review...... sounds like from another poster that it improves alot after 30 pages (exactly 30 coincidentally... first 30 = limit vs. NL). so this could be promising.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:15 PM

Mr. O'Connor:

I am glad to see that you are posting on our forums. If you take the time to review some of the posts here, you will see that the forum is full of cynicism and honesty. Hope you have tough skin. I imagine that if you are a poker player, this is true.

I do play some of the smaller NL games from time to time, as I am undecided on NL or Limit, or what game. Love them all.

I read about all of five pages of Largay's book. It seemed typical play-your-opponents cards (ei, think on level 1) advice that is pleny fine for the small stakes games. But there was one thing that turned me off. He said that in today's NL capped games, that he expects to make $50 an hour. I am sorry, this is rediculous. I am probably one of say four winning players that I have played at this level and I was doing a smashing $15 an hour. But this is california, and I will suppose that Largay was talking about Vegas games.

Questions:

Do you proclaim a wr in this book? What do you say it is?

When was the last time you have played in these games, and how much do you advocate "dominating" in these games when you you are faced with showing down 95% of all hands? And do you discuss major adjustments for these conditions? In other words, how much do you work on the level one, that seems to be the main leak in all the players I face?

I am one of the more cynical posters, btw.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:42 PM

Dear Cynical Dave,

My book is about DOMINATION - not a defensive approach. It is about assimilating the required basics until they are powerfully automatic and then unleashing what has been learned.

You are an experienced player. If you'll read more than 60 pages of the book, you'll love it.

Sam
Old 06-06-2007, 04:42 PM

Hey lads and ladies,

According to the publisher, the glitch in printing has been corrected. The printer is making a run of the corrected books today. I should have a sample of the newly printed book in my hands on Friday and my new shipment should arrive soon after.

Anyone ordering a book last Monday, or after, will receive a good copy from the new run.

If you like, you may wait for me to give you an “okay” on the quality of print in my sample book before you order your book. Or, you can wait until I receive my new shipment of books, and for my personal inspection of those books, before you order from your favorite retailer. You may also pm me for an autographed book, which you know I’ve inspected.

Thank you all for your patience.

Sam