Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 02:21 PM

Default Re: WSOP circuit event KTs

I don't mind the way OP played it at all. It's interesting that Sirio's rationale might have allowed you to steal this pot on the turn, given the somewhat obvious block bet. But given villain's image that sounds like a risky endeavor.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:30 PM

I too am still raising PF. Ok, fine, he looks like he was itching to raise... call is ok. If you are going to call down, wouldn't a better line be to put in a raise on the turn? You might get JJ-KK to fold. I can also dump the turn. If you stick with your read, there isn't much you are beating on the turn.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:55 PM

5.7: 1 on the call.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:11 PM

Locust, this was the 10am event Sunday at Harrah's in San Diego yeah? I played the 5pm event but the structure was terrible compared to yours. We started with 1000 chips instead of your 1500 and the levels were 30 mins instead of your 40 mins. Needless to say I busted out when everyone's Ms were low and it was a pushfest.

How did you end up finishing?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:13 PM

12PM event. Normal event, not for a seat. I bubbled.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:20 PM

Yea, noon ... that's what I meant. I don't have the time to go to the morning events this week because I work, so I can't play any of the better structured tournaments. If you ever get info on a well structured tournament in socal PM me and let me know. GL to you if you play any more of these.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:55 PM

sorry it was early lol.

but yeah, i guess it's closer but I think you are almost always looking at a blocking bet from a better hand here.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-We have the best hand more often than we don't

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a reason to raise or to fold or to do anything, this is just a statement.

[ QUOTE ]
If this player is very aggressive and will push hands that beat us (AT, set, etc), as well as some draws, I would like to avoid making that decision, so I would call (is this too weak?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it takes an aggressive player here to jam it on you with a draw. I think a big concern with raising here is that you will often get blown off your hand with a draw and basically be forced to fold.

[ QUOTE ]
Is he the lag, that will continue to fire unless I show strength? Am I seen as the type to call down here with overcards, or a weak pair (basically will he continue to bet hands that I beat if I just call, but stop every time i raise?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really understanding this at all. If he is some crazy LAG the clear play is to call the flop and evaluate the turn.

I think there are some legitimate reasons to raise the flop:

1) Depending on your image, you might want to play a big pot here and raise for value. If you make a larger raise on this board, quite a few hands might look you up because it's pretty suspicious, especially given the preflop action.

2) You are playing a player who is passive postflop, and will likely just call the flop with an overpair, so essentially a flop raise is shutting him down without the fear of not seeing showdown, and if you happen to improve, you will be able to get value (or might be able to bluff when a club comes). EV wise, this is probably not usually the best choice because you are going to get a lot of worse made hands and bluffs to fold, but if the player is going to really outplay you later on down the road, this may be something worth doing. Raising certainly does make this hand fairly straighforward... But taking the easy road is not always the best road.

I personally think that calling the flop is better in almost all spots. I generally want to keep the pot small and managable here. Its live poker baby, if I get to the turn and I think he's drawing or has JJ-KK, I might put in a raise. I might fold. CSC's post was pretty good. Against a good player who might jam it on you with a variety of holdings on the flop, unless you are prepared to comfortably get the whole stack in there, I think raising the flop is pretty bad. At the very least, have better reasons to do it then 'my hand is usually good'. There are spots where your hand is ABSOLUTELY good and its still not correct to raise...

Charging people to draw, I suppose, other's may list under reason's for raising, but I think that:

1) It's an overused argument, your opponent doesn't have a draw here often and when he does, he probably is even money or even a favorite, and isn't folding.

2) There are almost always more important considerations in a no limit holdem hand then charging for a draw.

Things like... losing less money when you are behind, for example, is one idea in this hand that is far more impt than charging for a draw.

-Jason
Old 02-28-2006, 03:01 AM

I also forgot to mention that I think a smallish river raise here (to 6k or so), should be considered an option.

Your call with KT is basically the same as calling with pocket deuces, IMO. So you have to really think the opponent has pure air to make this river call...