Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 03:38 PM

Default NL 10 FR - what to raise out of the SB/BB versus loose CO/BU/SB limper

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1146170

just an example...

What do you raise here ?
This happens quite often to me, and I never know if I should take the free shot, or (value-?)raise my holdings.

Its the same thing with pocketpairs in this situaiton.
What kind of reads/notes do you need to widen your ranges ?
Do you ONLY do such things versus guys you have stats/notes, or do you do this versus random never before seen guys ?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: NL 10 FR - what to raise out of the SB/BB versus loose CO/BU/SB limper

I would only raise this if I thought there was a decent chance I could get SB and CO to fold outright otherwise I take a free flop and try to hit a good hand because your position is a real disadvantage after the flop. I normally only do this when I have a really good hand and want to play it heads up. Axs is too good of a multiway hand to be raising here. You see lots of people try to squeeze at NL10 but villains rarely fold once they've commited chips to the pot. It just does not work enough to be profitable without having a real hand.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: NL 10 FR - what to raise out of the SB/BB versus loose CO/BU/SB limper

I check here and against some villains I'd check a lot of hands a lot stronger than the hand in the example here. I've thought about this quite a bit and decided a lot of NL10 donkeys need one excuse to make a call and they make it. There excuse for this one is "well i have position"
Old 06-04-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: NL 10 FR - what to raise out of the SB/BB versus loose CO/BU/SB li

So where is the line between the raising and the checking hands ?
With Ax I can figure it out ... something like ATs > raise, ATo check, AJo/s raise ... etc ... but where is the line with pocketpairs ?
What is the worst pocketpair your raising OOP in this circumstats ?
I'd say something like
pair checking raising
88 75 25
99 50 50
TT 10 90
I just want to get an idea of how tight I should be in such situations versus different oppents.

Versus wich oppenets I'm more willingly to raise in this spot OOP ? Versus a callingstation who will call my raise regardless ... versus a player who is often folding preflop to my raise ... versus a lag who is more likly to give me credit with stupid bluffs / overplaying midpair or something else ?

I guess his style does not matter as much as if he is predictable or not ... I obv. dont want to raise a semi-strong hand versus a tricky player in this situation
Old 06-04-2007, 06:03 PM

The only Aces I raise from the big blind are AQ and AK. PPs I raise TT+ and sometimes 99 depending on the table.

Unsuited aces I'm just happy for a cheap flop, and suited aces I want to be multiway anyway so no need to raise to isolate. I also don't want to build a pot OOP, so no need to raise as a pot sweetener.

Basically, it's hard to play most hands profitably out of the blinds so I don't really see a reason to build a big pot- I'm happy to take flops and try to reduce my losses when I actually have a hand.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only Aces I raise from the big blind are AQ and AK. PPs I raise TT+ and sometimes 99 depending on the table.

Unsuited aces I'm just happy for a cheap flop, and suited aces I want to be multiway anyway so no need to raise to isolate. I also don't want to build a pot OOP, so no need to raise as a pot sweetener.

Basically, it's hard to play most hands profitably out of the blinds so I don't really see a reason to build a big pot- I'm happy to take flops and try to reduce my losses when I actually have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I play exactly the same way
Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 PM

Yep, you have to realize you are playing purely for hitting trips or a flush draw/flush on the flop. If you flop an Axx board, you are out of position and will lose more money figuring out where you're at with your medium kicker than you will take down.