Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 06:19 PM

Default 2/4 Online: When to Stop Slowplaying a Made Hand

First a note, I rarely slowplay but in the case of this hand I felt there was a chance for one of the other players to make something big. My problem with it comes on when to stop.

MP1 seems like a decent player but I haven't played too many hands with him yet.

Preflop: I am in the BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, MP1 raises, the rest fold and I call.

Flop(3BB): 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, UTG checks, MP1 bets, I call, UTG folds.

At this point I figure the deck is dead and I can hope he makes something big.

Turn (4BB): 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check again, MP1 bets, I call.

I thought about check-raising here, but at the time I was hoping he'd bet out on the river and I could check-raise there.

River (6BB): K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet, MP1 calls.

I bet out cause I suddenly had a feeling he was going to check through. Being the pre-flop raiser my guess was high cards/big pocket pair and with that scary board I thought he'd be done, but thought he may call a bet.

I'm just not sure if check-raising the turn would be right, or is that too strong. Or maybe betting out at the turn and hoping he doesn't believe I made the straight or flush.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Online: When to Stop Slowplaying a Made Hand

just bet the flop. if they're not calling there, they're not calling anywhere.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:43 PM

Hi,
intresting situation. I am not sure what the best play is in this situation. I often donk into the preflop raise when I flop quads and hope to get raised by the preflop raiser. Most people would never expect you to raise your quads, even trips, in first position. When he raises me, with his hopefully high pocket pair, I call and go for a check raise on the turn. The problem with this way of playing is that you often get nothing, but when he has something big you can really get paid of.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 PM

Flop is fine. You don't want to push UTG out.

Raise/Cap the turn. A number of draws just got there. Overpairs are still calling down as are any spade overs.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just bet the flop. if they're not calling there, they're not calling anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops, i missed the pfr.

now i'm with ben: go to war on the turn.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When to Stop Slowplaying a Made Hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably stop slowplaying on the flop.

I would donk the flop. My goal is to make it appear that I have some weak made hand, like A7 suited, that I want to protect. I hope that someone puts me on that kind of hand, and makes or has a better one, and raises me on the turn, so I can threebet, or try and checkraise the river.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would donk the flop. My goal is to make it appear that I have some weak made hand, like A7 suited, that I want to protect

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bob

Given your position relative to the preflop raiser, if you had a 7, wouldn't you c/r the flop instead of betting out (unless the opponent was prone to checking through when he whiffs)?

To me, at least, betting out looks like an 8 looking to 3bet.

Or is the idea that your opponents aren't thinking about what your c/r is trying to accomplish, and instead think something like "wow, he raised, he must have an 8" where a simple bet could be a 7 or worse?

-McGee
Old 06-05-2007, 11:15 AM

Checkraise the turn; if he's afraid of that board he probably won't bet the river anyway. Sucks when he folds an overpair with no [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] but sometimes that's just how it happens. Bet/calling the turn is probably better than check/calling as at least you'll sometimes get 3bets in against a hand that isn't a flush. Betting the flop is also an option; you could bet/3bet to just get the money in ASAP or consider bet/calling and checking the turn to represent a draw (although that plan would have backfired given what the turn actually was)

Aces: People donk paired boards with less than stellar hands all the time and a lot of the people who do it don't understand relative position. It partly depends on if villain has a read on us or not but I would not be surprised to see K7, AT, 44 on this board on a regular basis, along with OESDs and flush draws that think their hand is worth equity pumping here.

[ QUOTE ]
Or is the idea that your opponents aren't thinking about what your c/r is trying to accomplish, and instead think something like "wow, he raised, he must have an 8" where a simple bet could be a 7 or worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, people "never" donk flopped trips on a paired board.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"wow, he raised, he must have an 8" where a simple bet could be a 7 or worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like that. I would expect that most players that donk this flop either have a bluff, a 7, or a pocket pair.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aces: People donk paired boards with less than stellar hands all the time and a lot of the people who do it don't understand relative position. It partly depends on if villain has a read on us or not but I would not be surprised to see K7, AT, 44 on this board on a regular basis, along with OESDs and flush draws that think their hand is worth equity pumping here.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, people "never" donk flopped trips on a paired board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. I think we're on the same page here. My point was only that if Bob really did have a 7 he wanted to protect, he'd likely c/r.

-McGee