Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Top 10 favorite video games of all time?

The fact that only one person has mentioned Gears of War (#9 wtf?) makes me seriously question what is going on around here.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that only one person has mentioned Gears of War (#9 wtf?) makes me seriously question what is going on around here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would venture a guess that most of us posting started played video games before 2006. That might explain things a bit, eh?

Swede
Old 06-04-2007, 10:44 PM

you are missing Counter-Strike and Starcraft, not to mention Mario Kart 64 and i think smash bros should be higher up on your list.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gears of war is a great game but i think after 10 years its impact isnt going to felt as much as something like chrono trigger
Old 06-05-2007, 08:54 AM

Halo 3
Old 06-05-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would venture a guess that most of us posting started played video games before 2006. That might explain things a bit, eh?

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, that's no excuse

May I ask you how many hours you've put in playing Gears of War?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gears of war is a great game but i think after 10 years its impact isnt going to felt as much as something like chrono trigger

[/ QUOTE ]

leveled? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2007, 12:28 PM

Ultima 7- Great RPG, totally revolutionary for the early 90s. The world was massive. There were lots of possibilities. And also, to the poster earlier who said there were no random encounters, there were- except they weren't "attention-grabbing" like Final Fantasy where you had a navigation map mode and then a combat mode. In Ultima VII it was all on the same screen. One grievance against the game was that it lacked shopkeepers who bought 99% of the stuff you picked up in the game but didn't need. Only special sidequests really ever made use of some items (like the guy who bought silver snake venom from you for 50g each. teh richness)

Ultima Underworld 2- THE first real first person, 3d RPG. It had a skill system. A real time combat system. A barter system. A monster mood system. Seriously, it's an amazing concept. Which leads me to...

Oblivion- Many years later, the same idea is applied to a much more massive, and pretty world. Many of the problems with the game can be remedied by player-made mods and content.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl- This one is pretty new, but imagine Oblivion but with NATO/Warsaw Pact weaponry in a post-apocalyptic kind of environment. Friendly and unfriendly dudes everywhere, as well as mutants in deep and dark places.

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn- Brought new meaning to "Real Time Strategy." Coexisting at the time were only Dune and Warcraft, two very primitive games. The storyline, despite cheesy real-life acting, was pretty awesome, at least for a 9 year old. Multiplayer kicked ass, sans the lack of a good AI for a coop mode. I never made it past 200 on the multiplayer ladder, but man did I try.

Battlefield 1942- This choice is not so much for the absolute merits of the game itself, but because it laid the groundwork for Battlefield 2 and 2142. Not to mention that a 40+ player Berlin game was my playground.

Call of Duty 1/2- Not to harp too much on the WWII genre, these two games had one of the best single player campaign modes I have ever played in. The scripting was amazing, and the immersion was great. Multiplayer was OK too.

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast- Naturally, Jedi Academy was better, but Academy introduced relatively less than Outcast did, mostly building upon JO's achievements. JO had an awesome lightsaber combat system. Force powers were tweaked to be less linear than they were in DF2: JK. You could freakin walk on walls, while deflecting blaster bolts with your lightsaber. The story mode was pretty good. It was a great feeling to just jump and flip around a room, hacking stormtroopers, force pulling their weapons, etc. One advantage Academy had over JO, though, was the total omnipresence of other dudes with lightsabers whom you had to fight. Fighting 4 of them at once with a double bladed lightsaber made you feel like darth maul, except not dead after 10 minutes on screen.

Soul Calibur II- This is the only console game I've really mentioned. The moment I played this game, I loved it. It has a really intuitive control scheme, so within a couple of matches two newbs can be having some pretty serious fights (for each other). The game's moves flow well, and it is difficult to lock down an opponent who knows even a quarter of the evasion tricks (Block, roll, etc.) unless you know any of the relatively few unbreakable combos in the game.

Pirates! (Sega Genesis)- Another game I rented when I was 9. This is the first game I played for 18 hours in a single day. I would just ride around the Caribbean, building my fleet, bringing captains to their knees, and seducing the virgin daughters of the lordships of St. Kitts, Nevis, Grenada, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't yet played the newer version. DYARGH!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:46 PM

1. Starcraft (pc)
2. Final fantasy Crystal chronicles (GC)
3. final fantasy VII (ps)
4. goldeneye (n64)
5. Legend of zelda OOT
6. Legend of zelda TP
7. legend of zelda WW
8. Halo 2
9. Super smash bros melee
10. diddy kong racing
Old 06-19-2007, 01:54 PM

1. GTA: San Andreas. Wasn't as big of an innovation as GTA 3 was, but it's superior to the rest of the series in every way IMO. There were some problems with it (the map was so big that at some points in the game commuting to the next mission was tedious), but I've never played a game that's been this fun. Can't wait for the next one.

2. Madden Series. You can tell what a hardcore gamer I am with these first 2 picks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I'm a big NFL fan and I love building a team (or a superstar in 2007) from the ground up. Fantasy Draft in Franchise mode ftw.

3. Super Mario World (SNES). I've played this game so much I could probably beat some levels with my eyes closed. It was my favorite game growing up because it's just so smooth and intuitive. It's challenging enough to make me yell at my TV a little but I've never been stuck for long.

4. WWF No Mercy (N64). The only N64 game that I still go back and play sometimes. The graphics are ancient and the roster is way outdated but it's the best wrestling game ever and my favorite multiplayer game of all time.

5. MGS2 (PS2). I'm so [censored] bad at this game, but when it's on super easy mode I feel like a total badass.

6. Fight Night Round 3 (PS2). So pretty.

7. Does Tetris count? Tetris kicks ass.

8. Earthbound (SNES). K, so I've never finished this one (as with every other RPG I've ever played), but it's always fun to beat up those cohorts.

9. NBA Street (PS2). Not much to say here. It's fast and fun.

10. Dynasty Warriors. Easily the worst voice-acting of all time, completely repetitive gameplay and no real story, but it's still fun to mash the square button and destroy thousands of fools at a time.