Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 12:58 PM

Default have people noticed a distinct change in the omaha games?

Id say 5-10 on bodog is my standard game. I was quite successful playing laggy in position short handed PLO. I tended to semi bluff a lot, push people off hands, etc... There was a general unwillingness to play 100BBs without very big hands. Lately, ive noticed people going with far far far less for their whole stacks, and therefore the semi bluffing strategy is not working well. Now, it is not just my image because I have watched who I am playing against and it is a mix of regulars and newer players. Has anyone else noticed this kind of shift in calling ranges? Is it time to go back to playing a TAG game?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: have people noticed a distinct change in the omaha games?

I've noticed this a little as well but just passed it off as a hold em crowd picking up the game and applying LAG strategy. I play anywhere from $0.50/1 to $3/6 mostly on stars but sometimes on FTP.

It seems like recently a standard play is to repop an opponent on a 2 suited flop if the PFR continues with a pot. This is done, often, with no more than a flush draw (even of the non-nut variety). In my modest opinion, I'd say most of the strategies that you outlined still apply but it wouldn't be bad to mix it up a little. Check call (and or fold) your smaller draws periodically. This gives your semi-bluffs/big draws more respect. Additionally, if your opponents fail to adjust, you'll get your money in the middle in more favorable spots.

In general I'd agree that the play is more laggy and I'd say capitalize while you can!!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it time to go back to playing a TAG game?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, a TAG game should be your standard game, with LAG mixed in when you can get away with it. I have run into a lot of people playing back at me. When I have a flip or better, I shove it down their throat. All of these people who have been playing back at me hold'em LAG style for a significant amount of hands are severe losers. But this works because I primarily play a TAG game but they think I am weak tight or LAGGY at the time they make their play.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM

I've definitely noticed that the games have loosened up quite a bit the last few weeks or so compared to where they were right after Neteller closed down. People are three-betting garbage a ton and aren't afraid to call down light.

As for the adjustments, they really have to be more specific than just "tighten up" or "play LAG". The biggest thing is whether they're coming over the top of you light and trying to get stacks in on the flop or just going into calling station mode.

If it's #1, you need to first lower the threshhold of hands you're willing to get stacks in with, but then go ahead and check the draws that are weaker than that regularly. Having hands that work both ways is very important here. For example, an OESD + non-nut flush draw will become much more powerful with top pair since either a lot of times you'll be up against a naked draw that's better than yours and the top pair will have a decent chance of holding up. Don't stop C-betting your complete misses though. It's important to keep a crazy LAG image in this type of game and when people are playing fit or fold on the flop, they'll tend to still give up a decent amount of the flops where they miss completely. The important thing is just to protect the draws you can't call a repot with by taking free cards.

If they're going into station mode though, just focus on playing a lot more pots in position and cut down on your C-bets across the board (probably the complete misses more than the middling draws). When you do C-bet your draws, be ready to fire two shells as you'll get a lot of loose peels on the flop from top pair and overpair type hands.