Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Brock Lesnar in MMA

Saw the thread about Johnnie Morton getting his head punched into the 3rd row in the MMA event Saturday. Well, on that same card former WWE star Brock Lesnar made his MMA debut and wrecked his opponent in just over a minute. Prior to WWE fame, he was an NCAA wrestling champion at Minnesota and a junior college national champ. He's 6'2, 265 pounds, strong as hell and very quick too. Of course, dude seems kind of like a flake; in one of his interviews he says he's doing MMA "because it's where the money is." Here's a vid of his fight: http://www.dailymotion.com/search/k1...-lesnar-vs-min

Any chance Lesnar is the next big thing in MMA?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Brock Lesnar in MMA

Lesnar is lucky to be alive.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:33 PM

Kurt Angle v Brock Lesnar in a MMA match at Wrestlemania 24. Book it Vince.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM

Jesus it was such a letdown when he botched that SSP.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saw the thread about Johnnie Morton getting his head punched into the 3rd row in the MMA event Saturday. Well, on that same card former WWE star Brock Lesnar made his MMA debut and wrecked his opponent in just over a minute. Prior to WWE fame, he was an NCAA wrestling champion at Minnesota and a junior college national champ. He's 6'2, 265 pounds, strong as hell and very quick too. Of course, dude seems kind of like a flake; in one of his interviews he says he's doing MMA "because it's where the money is." Here's a vid of his fight: http://www.dailymotion.com/search/k1...-lesnar-vs-min

Any chance Lesnar is the next big thing in MMA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing more about (real) wrestling than MMA and seeing that video, I don't see many people getting the upper hand on this guy if it's on the ground....and it looks like he won't have that much trouble taking it to the ground.

variance: he does seem flaky and roid rage may be an issue.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:48 PM

His opponent was a scrub. Can't make too much of a judgment based on that fight.

I have no idea how much submission training he's had, but it's certainly possible that, even if he can take anyone down, he could still lose (e.g., Coleman, also a former NCAA wrestling champion, took down Nog in their fight and Fedor in both their fights. In all three fights, he was submitted even though he was on top.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:56 PM

i was still watching pro wrestling when lesnar made his debut. jesus he was awesome.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:58 PM

Gus - you make a good point about Coleman. The only difference is that Coleman has refused any efforts to round out his game - IIRC, after one of his fights he was approached to train in Brazil with either Chute Boxe or Top Team and opted to stay with Randleman instead. The first thing Brock did was train with Miletich and Greg Nelson, and you can be sure they're teaching him jiu-jitsu and defense. Even if it's only the basics such as avoiding armbars and chokes, it's still one step ahead of Coleman. I'm too lazy to dig it up, but there was a promo vid of him training, and it showed him practicing striking and rolling jiu-jitsu - looks like Brock is making an effort to round his game out.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His opponent was a scrub. Can't make too much of a judgment based on that fight.

I have no idea how much submission training he's had, but it's certainly possible that, even if he can take anyone down, he could still lose (e.g., Coleman, also a former NCAA wrestling champion, took down Nog in their fight and Fedor in both their fights. In all three fights, he was submitted even though he was on top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in his defense, Lester wasn't hiding the fact that his opponent was a scrub. Here's a quote from an LA Times story:

Lesnar said that in spite of Choi's size, he is encouraged by the style match-up and asserts, "They couldn't have picked an easier opponent for me."

Don't know if Lester has the "intangibles," but he certainly seems to have a lot of tangibles.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing/la-...s-sports-boxing

EDIT: this guy was even easier than the originally scheduled fighter:

"hong man choi wasnt cleared 2 fight so they got this dude 2 fill in instead, it aint staged, its jus a [censored] fighter put up against a new, hyped up brock lesnar, they jus wanted 2 feed him some chumps be4 they really tested him."
Old 06-04-2007, 06:01 PM

Donkey, thanks for the info. I hope Lesnar learns from Coleman's mistakes. I always liked him in the WWE so I hope he does well. I was merely pointing out that Lesnar's opponent in the K1 fight seemed to be overmatched.