Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Donovan going back to Florida?!?!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Waaaay easier to recruit at UNC (Jordan, Dean Dome, hottest chicks anywhere other than Austin, TX) than at Kansas (wheat fields and, um...).

[/ QUOTE ]
Bolded part - wow.

I'm not knowledgeable enough regarding college basketball to really engage you guys in debate here, but if you're the third-winningest team in NCAA D-I history, I would think there would be some prestige there. So I was thinking more NC > Kansas than the NC >>>>>>> Kansas that you guys are implying.

Also, Santa Clara >>>> NC because that's where Nash went.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know anything about college basketball?
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Waaaay easier to recruit at UNC (Jordan, Dean Dome, hottest chicks anywhere other than Austin, TX) than at Kansas (wheat fields and, um...).

[/ QUOTE ]
Bolded part - wow.

I'm not knowledgeable enough regarding college basketball to really engage you guys in debate here, but if you're the third-winningest team in NCAA D-I history, I would think there would be some prestige there. So I was thinking more NC > Kansas than the NC >>>>>>> Kansas that you guys are implying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know anything about college basketball?

[/ QUOTE ]
My post made perfect sense. Did you miss this part:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not knowledgeable enough regarding college basketball to really engage you guys in debate here

[/ QUOTE ]
?

So after reading your incredibly dumb post above I remembered that you're the guy that occasionally trolls sports threads with useless one-liners like the one above. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:49 PM

I'm pretty sure I've never read your posts in other NCAA threads. Just because Kansas is #3 in overall wins doesn't make it on the same level as UNC in this day and age. Honestly, what are the biggest programs in college basketball today. You have Duke which just about every game is on TV, you have UNC, you have UCLA and then you have your Kentucky which is probally on the rise, Florida which is up and coming and Kansas which has been very good especially in the Roy Williams era. Kansas is a HUGE program, I never denied that but it just isn't as big of a job and it isn't as great to recruit. UNC has had some of the biggest players in NBA history, that doesn't hurt. UNC and Duke over the last 30 years I think are tied in number of finals 4, I think they both have the number of titles (Kansas has 1 over the same period).

As I said earlier, just look who Kansas got to replace Roy Williams with. Bill Self is a good coach but nowhere near on the level of Roy Williams or other big time coaches.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the UNC job had always been Roy Williams' dream job since he was a college student. More money too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that why he turned it down the first time it was offered and it took Dean Smith begging him to take it after Doherty? Also, the fact that Dean's immediate successors were Guthridge and Doherty kind of argues against capone's point about Self, no?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waaaay easier to recruit at UNC (Jordan, Dean Dome, hottest chicks anywhere other than Austin, TX) than at Kansas (wheat fields and, um...TORNADOES!!![img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ).

Also, the UNC job had always been Roy Williams' dream job since he was a college student. More money too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-04-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that why he turned it down the first time it was offered and it took Dean Smith begging him to take it after Doherty? Also, the fact that Dean's immediate successors were Guthridge and Doherty kind of argues against capone's point about Self, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always understood that RW came very close to taking the UNC job the first time it was offered. He stayed out of a feeling of loyalty to the school and his players.

Guthridge was hand-picked by Smith to succeed him (reward for 30+ years as loyal assistant), I think they could have gotten a much bigger name.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 PM

Being from Kansas, albeit a wildcat and not a gayhawk, I just wanted to add my two cents. I agree that UNC is more prestigious, but I think Roy would have a had a bigger legacy staying at Kansas.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Bolded part - wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

To answer you seriously, there is a lot of prestige at Kansas. It's one of the top 5 or 6 programs in the nation, for sure.

But for Roy Williams specifically, the lure of the UNC job had to be almost impossible to resist, for the reasons above.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:17 PM

And Coach D was a mistake. Too young, not enough experience. He could recruit but the team he took over for just couldn't wait nor could he coach at the ACC level after coaching at ND.

Here is a story on the Doherty-Roy Williams thing in 2001.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...c_williams_ap/
Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Hi everybody -

Isn't this thread to talk about Donovan and UF/ORL stuff?