Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Need to lose 100+ pounds

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever your schdule is try not to eat for two hours before going to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

The precise advice is really more like, don't eat high glycemic index carbs near bedtime.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

The precise advice is really more like, don't eat high glycemic index carbs near bedtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are and why not near bedtime?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:21 PM

I was heavyier than you and lost over 100lbs so far. I started by going on a low carb diet for a few months, then started working out. At first, I would walk briskly on the tradmill 3 times/wk. After probably 2 months, I started jogging for as long as I could (60 seconds) then walking, then joggin again, then walking trying to do about 40 min total. At this point I added weight training. After a while I was able to jog for around 3min then walk. After a few more months I was able to run a slow mile, take a break, then run another slow mile. Now I can jog slowly for around 45min before my joints feel like they're gonna fall off (I'm 240 now). I'd say take the working out slowly if you're not athletically inclined. Big people probably aren't meant for jogging. I was lucky in that I never got injured even though I may have been overly ambitious at first. I try to do more HIIT instead of jogging now, but if I tried that 100lbs ago I'd have broken myself. I also phased in carbs, mostly from good sources (veggies, nuts, etc.). Feel free to PM me if you've got any other qs about my experience.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:47 PM

to really start losing 100+ pounds:

eliminate grains

make a slow cooker of carrots, lean chicken, apples right before bed and put on slow and wake up and eat the goodness. You can mix and match ingredients of fruits, vegetables and lean meats. Use calorie free hot sauce or ms. dash spice to flavor.

Dont eat grains late in the day. NONE.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

eliminate grains

make a slow cooker of carrots, lean chicken, apples right before bed and put on slow and wake up and eat the goodness. You can mix and match ingredients of fruits, vegetables and lean meats. Use calorie free hot sauce or ms. dash spice to flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Specifically why no grains late in the day?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are and why not near bedtime?

[/ QUOTE ]

High glycemic index carbs are foods like white bread, cereals, processed sugars, etc. that the body can quickly convert into lots of glucose. At night, as your metabolism slows down, all that glucose is very likely to be stored as fat.

A better bedtime meal would be like: 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 scoop low-carb protein powder, 2 tbsp flax meal. The combination of fiber and slow-digesting proteins will keep your body anabolic through much of the night.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

eliminate grains

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Specifically why no grains late in the day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basicly grains late in the day are very likely to be stored as fat. Late in the day your body is getting ready for sleep and you dont need grains to fuel your body so it turns the grains into fat [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2007, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the explanations guys.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:00 PM

bodyweight x 15 = maintenance calories, cutting that by a drastic measure is just crash dieting that won't work. slow and steady.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 PM

From my heaviest, I am now down exactly 100 lbs. Though, truly, I had lost about 40 lbs from that and held that weight for a couple years before I seriously decided to try to lose weight. Over the next couple years I've slowly dropped the 60 more pounds. I can tell you, the most important keys to losing large amounts of weight are diet and exercise combined with patience and faith. You have to have faith that what you're doing will pay off in the long run, and you have to stick with it. Sure, it will help to eat less refined carbs or to do this or do that. But, in all honesty, when we're talking about losing a bunch of fat, the most difficult aspect is sticking with it. So, don't worry too much about the specifics. Keep an eye on carbs, but don't worry if you eat a sandwich here or there, or even have cookie every now and then. Just focus on maintaining a small caloric deficit and the results will come. Good luck.