$30M - $40M 26 21.85%
$40M - $50M 22 18.49%
$50M - $75M 9 7.56%
$75M - $100M 10 8.40%
Polltard - >$100M 15 12.61%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 AM

Default Re: pulse rate

Most people with decent cardiovascular fitness will have a resting HR in the 40's - at least this is my experience with a background in triathlon.

I'd be interested to see how muscle + CV fitness affects resting HR. Perhaps having more muscle mass requires the heart to work harder at rest ?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lance Armstrong has a resting heart rate of 32 bpm

[/ QUOTE ]

doping?

[/ QUOTE ]

Riiiiiight, because the hundreds of blood tests by a country and organization that hated him were all faked, probably by that cigarette smoking man.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 AM

i would assume people are listing their resting heart rates, otherwise the poll would be pretty useless.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 PM

I'm surprised by everyone talking about readings in the 40s, I always thought 40s were extremely low and uncommon even among fit athletes. IMO anything below 60 is great. I think someone setting really low and concrete "goals" for their resting heart rate would probably be on the wrong track, it just doesn't work like that, the relationship between resting heart rate and overall fitness isn't that absolute.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised by everyone talking about readings in the 40s, I always thought 40s were extremely low and uncommon even among fit athletes. IMO anything below 60 is great. I think someone setting really low and concrete "goals" for their resting heart rate would probably be on the wrong track, it just doesn't work like that, the relationship between resting heart rate and overall fitness isn't that absolute.

[/ QUOTE ]

resting to me is sitting down in front of your computer. not waking up in the morning when your pulse rate is likely to be lower than normal due to having been in a resting state for the entire night.

i'm very impressed that the pulse rates are so low, but there are 2 things to consider:

1) this is a health and fitness forum &amp; participants are more likely to be in great shape

2) people may not be accurately doing this/reporting results

i'm inclined to believe 1 more than 2.

either way though, it is still very impressive to see such a high % at such low pulse rates.

my heart rate got up to like 75 when i gained 45 lbs 2 yrs ago. 2 years before that when i was running 6 mi/day + 3 days of rollerhockey per week, my in-front-of-the-computer resting rate was 50 bpm.

i once had to go get a pin in my finger and the heart rate monitor started beeping relentlessly as when i relaxed my pulse rate dropped below 40bpm. i wouldn't consider that (at that time) my resting heart rate.

so today, my heart rate is 56bpm sitting in front of the computer. i'm sure it would be lower if i just woke up and took it.

anyways, thanks all for your input &amp; responses!

Barron
Old 06-04-2007, 05:24 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
resting to me is sitting down in front of your computer. not waking up in the morning when your pulse rate is likely to be lower than normal due to having been in a resting state for the entire night.

[/ QUOTE ]

They usually tell you to take it first thing in the morning out of bed. I assume this is the "standard." Although I guess when people get thier pulses checked by docs it isn't first thing in the morning, so I guess data is based more on that.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They usually tell you to take it first thing in the morning out of bed. I assume this is the "standard." Although I guess when people get thier pulses checked by docs it isn't first thing in the morning, so I guess data is based more on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the absolute number doesn't really matter much. Is more what your number is doing as already discussed in this thread.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 PM

My resting pulse was 38 at my last dr visit. He told me he'd rush be to the ER if I wasn't a marathon runner. I guess running 40+ miles a week does do wonders for your heart.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My resting pulse was 38 at my last dr visit. He told me he'd rush be to the ER if I wasn't a marathon runner. I guess running 40+ miles a week does do wonders for your heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

that, my friend. is genetics. i was running 42 miles/week and my resting rate never dropped below 50 or so when i checked it. it did drop below 40 while in the state of relaxation before sleep as witnessed before my surgery.

38 has got to be genetics. that is just sick. your heart barely has to work to get the job done [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Barron