Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 AM

Default Overpair on suspicous board; people like it a lot

CO is 17/13/5 across > 200 hands. He seems to be quite solid and sometimes shows up at some of the other tables I am playing at so he's a multitabler. Others are unknown and have done very little, but typical for this limit. Also, I had just lost a hand and the chip reloader doesn't act fast enough.

Poker Stars
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.02/$0.05 Blinds
6 Players
LegoPoker HH Converter

SB: $6.04
BB: $9.13
UTG: $5.79
<font color="black">Hero (MP): $8.74</font>
CO: $6.48
BTN: $10.05

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt Q Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.20</font>, CO calls $0.20, BTN folds, SB calls $0.18, BB folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($0.65) 8 T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.45</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $1.85</font>, <font color="red">SB raises all-in to $5.84</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $8.54</font>, CO calls all-in for $4.43
Uncalled bet of $2.26 returned to Hero

Pot Size: $19.05 ($0.95 Rake)

I don't know, against 2 unknowns this shouldn't require much thought; I have a gutshot too! I suppose he could be playing a draw aggressively though. But then of course that check/raise from SB isn't exactly comforting either.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Overpair on suspicous board; people like it a lot

CO's raise is really suspicious given his stats and I'm more concerned about him than SB. Still, given that this is NL5, he would well be raising AJ for protection. I think its pretty close between a fold and a call here, but if I call its not because I think Im a massive favourite.

At 50nl I would fold this, just because the collective outs of the two players are so strong against your overpair (especially given that you dont have the Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) and thus your equity is pretty poor.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:53 AM

Does having the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] make that big of a difference? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] No, this is a serious question. Or is it the difference between calling and folding?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:01 AM

Its not the difference between calling or folding, but it makes less draws possible, because it removes one possible straight draw and takes one of your flush outs. It also means that you have the backdoor flush draw which improves your equity a tad.

Having said that, its still a hair-thin call, its just two hair-widths with the Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Old 06-04-2007, 05:04 AM

*Touches hair*

Ah, ok thanks. I actually never think of these things lol.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:07 AM

Well to be honest, its not a very easy spot, its incredibly marginal. I think that headsup its a pretty easy stack off, but when you are battling against two hands and therefore you have twice the outs against you, its a much tougher spot.

Remember that folding here is never going to get you crucified as long as you can give a good reason for why you chose to do it - ie. you dont like coinflips or whatever.