Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 10:47 PM

Default It is not going well right now...

I have played a lot of fixed limit as I told you in a recent thread. I just like to share with you how it works in NL10...

It's not going well. I really have to find my leaks and plug them once and for all. Study the game.

Do you have some suggestions for me now?

Is this kind of result even possible?

You can see that it begun pretty ok, but hell broke lose the last 2000 hands...

I am not sure that it's bad play. You know how it is. You have the second best hand and they have the absolute nuts. You have the nuts or a very great hand, and nobody else have anything at all...

Come on guys. Perhaps I suck, but I am going to improve! I am not sure how I am supposed to do it right now? Read books? Take a break? Post hands? Just reload and wait for the tide to turn?

Anyway. I have to get some sleep right now. But please tell me what I can do to turn that ugly curve up...
Old 06-03-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: It is not going well right now...

Post some hands. Are you rolled for the game you're in? Are you a proven winner in lower limits over a good number of hands?

edit: I just saw the graph and the limit you're playing in. This could be variance although I tend to think it is just a missunderstanding of underlying poker theory. Do you call big bets a lot on a draw without pot odds? Going all in with TPTK or an overpair when you run into resistance?
---------------------

You could keep rebuying in. But why put yourself through that. Better be overrolled than underrolled. Better to be prepared for the worst than assuming the best.

My suggestions:

1) Stop playing and study the hands you played and why you chose each action. Do you have pokertracker? Consider pot odds, implied odds, reverse implied odds, reads (have poker ace HUD?). I think you may find that you are calling big bets in small pots as a underdog. You catch your card only to find that an opponent has you bested. How about bet sizing? A difficult but important concept in NL. Do you bluff a lot? The micros are filled with calling stations.

2) Drop down to the 2c/4c or 1c/2c $3NL (i think?) game and play until you can prove that you are winning. I'm not gonna assume anything, good or bad, until I have 100k in the micros and even then I probably need more hands. It is truly magnificent how long the long run actually is.

3) Read some poker books. (To get you thinking about the game). Visit the Books and Pubs forum for more on this subject.

4) POST SOME HANDS. Participate in discussion, get flamed, make mistakes, learn from your mistakes.

Insanity:== doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

Only the best of luck,

Google
Old 06-03-2007, 11:17 PM

Did you tilt?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:54 AM

googleti made some good sudgestions, especially bet sizing and reading poker books.

I might add that things have gotten a lot harder lately. First there was the Party pull-out after the UIGEA and then the problems with Neteller. Less fish means harder play for everyone. I think a lot of people had to drop levels, so you might be playing against a lot of .50/.25 and .25/10 people and less fish. As the Queen said to Alice, "You have to run as fast as you can to stay in one place. To get anywhere, you have to run twice as fast."

The best advice in "NL Holdem Theory and Practice" by Miller/Sklanksy is that big pots are for big hands, small pots are for small hands. Pot control is very important, but sometimes that means making a big bet to take down a small pot.

Try Phil Gordan's Green book if you have not read it already, and NLT&P. The latter is a little weak on 6 max though. I have been using the starting hand chart from:

http://www.philnolimits.com/handguides.php

limping very little, and raising almost always, but it of corse depends on the table.

Table selection is very important. There is always another, don't be afraid to move.

Do whatever it takes to get your confidance back.

Read bunches, practice, and don't be afraid to drop a level. The play is different and you will have to adapt, but learning to adapt is good too.

Also, check your emotional balance. Take a break for a few days if you need to and get some real life chores accomplished, or do something fun.

Good Luck!
Old 06-04-2007, 01:31 AM

consider trying session reviews.

dont know what they are? Okay, in a nutshell you basically get paired up with a likeminded soul and review 100-200 hands of each others and try and spot each others leaks. For further info and to find out how to signup you should go to PL/NL Holdem Full Ring and Search for Session Reviews . Look for posts by thread13. hint: theres a post stuck at the top of that forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

for those who prefer LHE, session reviews are also done in MicroStakesLimit. gogogo
Old 06-04-2007, 02:02 AM

Thanks a lot guys!

I will take all of your advice and try to spot my leaks. Perhaps I'll drop down a level, but I don't think losing money on this level hurts so bad. To not improve is the problem though.

I have a few good books, and I am going to study them once again.

I will also keep you guys informed of how things are going, so you'll see if you got me right on track :-)

Ok. Just keep posting if you have more suggestions!