Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 09:04 PM

Default $5.50NL - MTT Bubble Question

Final Table on the bubble, 6-handed. t300/t600 with 5 minutes to go at this level.

Stacks from t25K(UTG, tight/passive) to t3100 (playing like he needs the money). Hero in BB with t5650 (M=9, 2nd shortest). I've been pretty rocky. Stolen blinds 2x in 2 orbits. 3 orbits ago shoved on button with 2 limpers at BB=t600, took it down pf and showed QQ to maintain tight image. (This was at 9 handed, $ @ 5-handed). UTG is competent/tight.

UTG limps. 4 folds.

Hero = t5050 in BB after posting t600, checks K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Pot: t1500

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Harrington stresses KK or AA only for a bubble shove. Does this qualify with t1500 in the pot?

Thanx.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: $5.50NL - MTT Bubble Question

Harrington was referencing sngs, Im not really sure what kind of tournament this is. But I would lead if UTG was a passive player, and checkraise allin if he was a more aggressive player.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:16 PM

Do I have enough FE for a crai against a tightish player who may have a piece of it? Do I want a call?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:20 PM

If he was tight/passive then I would probably just lead for like 1000 and if you think he really is tight then fold if he raises you and check/reevaluate turn if you get a call.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he was tight/passive then I would probably just lead for like 1000 and if you think he really is tight then fold if he raises you and check/reevaluate turn if you get a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line better as it breaks down for Villain making an even worse call on the turn (which did miss him in this scenario). If I bet t1000 on the flop and get called and shove the safe turn he's getting 1.61:1 with 1 to go. A flop shove gives him 1.3:1 with 2 to go. As played I overestimated both his skill level and my FE and shoved the flop. I don't like his call with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] getting only 1.3:1. Of course he drew out or I wouldn't be posting. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thanx for the help.

~Michael
Old 06-05-2007, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he was tight/passive then I would probably just lead for like 1000

[/ QUOTE ]

If he was so tight passive, then you should be shoving pre-flop. No way can you bet 1k (20%) of your stack and leave yourself so short (> 7bb's). If you're leading that flop, you've gotta get 'em all in.

My standard line here is to check, and if he bets < 1/2 pot just shove. If he's smart enough to put out a solid bluff on that flop w/a worse hand than mine, then god bless him, I fold.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 AM

You're hitting top pair with a very low multiple - you want to get all your chips in here if possible.
Going AI on the flop is too much of an overbet though.
You say villain is tight but is he aggressive? If he is then CR AI, otherwise just bet on the flop.
With a multiple this low I'm never folding top pair here.