Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Internet Explorer Problem

My parents called me up earlier today with a computer problem and unfortunatly I am not very good with computers. I tried helping them but my internet explorer seems to be a different version or something from their's.

When one clicks 'favorites' it normally pops up attached to the left side of the screen (I'm not talking about the drag down favorites menu). However, somehow when they click on favorites it now takes up the entire internet explorer screen. There is not an option to drag the screen smaller or anything at all either.

I have an image on my computer of what it looks like but am unable to upload it onto any sites. It appears to be to large to put onton image shack.

Does anyone have any ideas I would really appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Internet Explorer Problem

Firefox
Old 06-04-2007, 01:26 AM

Yes, I agree I use firefox, but my paren't are rather happy w/ what they allready know how to do which is IE.

Does anyone have some advice please?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 AM

Did you try resetting IE to factory defaults? Tools > internet options > advanced tab > reset.

Just install firefox on their computer and change the icon to a big blue E. They will never know the difference. Obviously they dont know how to do much in IE if they can't figure out the favorites menu. BTW, what is there to learn about using a web browser?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Remove IE from the system and download a newer version from MS website. Before doing this please check that you will be able to find a downloadable IE version at the site, or you could do a system restore and have the computer revert back to a date when the problem did not exist (this might do the trick).
Old 06-04-2007, 03:41 PM

IE cannot be removed/uninstalled from XP. It is integrated into the system.

To the OP, I have a feeling if I could get my hands on this computer I could figure out the problem but it's an oddity that without seeing I can't seem to figure out? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Resting to the original settings might be worth a try as Funky mentioned but I'm not sure

As for using Firefox....that's not the right way to solve this problem. I'm a HUGE FF fan. I haven't used FF in ages but at the same time I realize that many older or less knowledgeable users don't like change when it comes to computers. They also do not grasp new things well. I also think that to really unleash the great browser it is, FF needs a decent amount of tweaking.

Get IE fixed and back to normal and then you can talk about having them switch to FF, but they won't be happy about it because IE works just fine for them.

Is there anyway you can email the screenshot from their computer? If you knew exactly what version of IE they were using and I could see the screenshot, I might could help. PM me if you want my email addy.....

- Jason
Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 PM

It would be nice to know what version of IE they are using, I've played around with 6 and 7 and can only get the favorites pain to be half the screen.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:55 PM

Default ***EDIT**** for my post above #10653729

***EDIT**** for my post above #10653729

I said I haven't used FF in ages but I meant to say IE...I only use Firefox now. Oops. Just wanted to clear that up.

- Jason
Old 06-04-2007, 06:57 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

A wild guess--and probably not the problem:

Perhaps they "pinned" the Favorites menu in IE7. Is there a small X at the top right hand that they can click on? Alternatively, they can try to drag the right side of the Favorites menu to the left.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

[ QUOTE ]
A wild guess--and probably not the problem:

Perhaps they "pinned" the Favorites menu in IE7. Is there a small X at the top right hand that they can click on? Alternatively, they can try to drag the right side of the Favorites menu to the left.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the more I play around with this, the more likely I think this may be the problem. I was finally able to pin the favorites menu and drag it far enough to the right to cover the entire browswer window. If the X is not visible at the top of the Favorites menu to un-pin it, see if they can put the cursor on the right-hand margin and drag it to the left. Of course, that may take some trial-and-error if the margin of the Favorites menu coincides with the margin of the browser window.