Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 PM

Default What is your position on DUI?

Ok, I quit drinking about 6 1/2 years ago. I don't look down on others that drink. I actually admire people who can go out and have a drink or two. I decided to quit because alcoholism runs in my family and I got to the point where I was drinking, literally, 7 days a week (never just a couple beers. More like a 12 pack every night). I maybe took 5 or 6 days off a year. I probably drank and drove 100 times in my life. I'm embarrassed as can be about it but I can't take time back. I feel so lucky that I never wrecked into anyone and hurt them or even got a DUI. I've been pulled over and walked the line 4 or 5 times and wrecked a few cars.

Anyway last night I was driving home from Tunica and saw a truck that was weaving so much I just knew he was going to wreck. I pulled my cell phone out and started to dial the police a couple times but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I started to feel guilty about all the times I had done it and, assuming, noone called em on me. I only hope that peron made it home without hurting anyone.

So I got to thinking what does everyone else think about that? If you were driving and saw someone swerving pretty bad what would you do?

P.S. - Please don't tell me what a POS I was for drinkng and driving before. I know I WAS. Like I said I feel very lucky I never hurt anyone else or myself.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: What is your position on DUI?

ummm....yeah I'd call. You aren't calling the cops to punish the driver, you are calling the cops to save lives.

Also at least you stopped drinking.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:20 PM

Obviously if the person is so drunk that the car is uncontrollable, you need to let someone know. Big difference between that and 99% of "drunk" drivers whose impairment to driving ability is almost undetectable.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously if the person is so drunk that the car is uncontrollable, you need to let someone know. Big difference between that and 99% of "drunk" drivers whose impairment to driving ability is almost undetectable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll assume when you say "drunk" you mean by the letter of the law. If that's the case then let me ask another question. If you know someone has had enough to be considered legally drunk what do you do?

I feel confident there's been millions of dollars in studies to determine at what BAC someone becomes dangerous behind the wheel. IIRC the BAC was always .10 until the last decade or so many states changed the BAC to .08.

So if we trust those studies anyone with .08 is dangerous. But I feel the majority of us think that .08 is nothing. So do ou call if you know someone is .08 or when is it time to make the call?
Old 06-03-2007, 12:34 PM

You already did a good job letting go of the past when you quit drinking. You can make calls like this in just as good conscience as anyone else.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:01 PM

I think DUI laws in US are about as retarded as can be

MADD is a piece of [censored] group of people

still, it is morally wrong to drink and drive, but the laws should not be THAT harsh.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:06 PM

What would you do if you looked out your office window and saw a guy waving a gun around on the sidewalk?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think DUI laws in US are about as retarded as can be

MADD is a piece of [censored] group of people

still, it is morally wrong to drink and drive, but the laws should not be THAT harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by laws being harsh, you mean the punishment, I disagree. The sentences handed out are fine.

I do think .08 is complete crap. Impairment for me at .08 or even .10 is zero. I too have walked the line 3 times, twice being pulled over beacause of the time of night and a taillight being out.

Once at the age of 22 or so, I was pretty much blasted. I still passed the field sobriety test and was let go. In all honesty, that time, maybe I should not have been driving, but still had enuff coordination to stay DUI free.

I think alcohol affects different people in different ways, and at different levels. .08 seems to be the level at which the most "lightweight" (not referring to bodyweight) would be impaired, and the rest of us end up having to live under that standard.

To the OP...yes call the cops....he was obviously way impaired.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think alcohol affects different people in different ways, and at different levels. .08 seems to be the level at which the most "lightweight" (not referring to bodyweight) would be impaired, and the rest of us end up having to live under that standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a big thing. I can drink a six pack over a few hours and be completely fine. By the letter of the law though, I'm probably over .08.

However, if I do six shots of tequila over that same time period, I'm lucky if I can remember my name.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:20 PM

It's not the punishment from the laws that's harsh, it's the social stigma that DUI has that's way harsher than it should be. Organizations like MADD way overemphasize the crime to the point where people who have DUIs are judged way too harshly given the severity of the "crime" (which really is a crime based on an increased probability of being involved in an accident). There are plenty of legal things that also provide an increased probability of being in an accident as well, such as talking on cell phones, eating and being sleepy while driving.

Disclaimer: never had a DUI.