Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: You choose this child\'s sport.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buy him lots of growth hormone and get him into basketball

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know parents who do this. Seems to be working.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're serious, I'd love to hear more about how old the kids are, how long they've been on it, how much faster they're growing, how you know, etc. That seems crazy to me.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buy him lots of growth hormone and get him into basketball

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know parents who do this. Seems to be working.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to hear more about this also.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:41 PM

1) Lacrosse, probably.
2) Baseball, anything but a pitcher.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:43 PM

First, I should say, I don't know 100% if they are on them. However there's some matter of fact talk about kids who are on them.

From my very small sample size, it seems to accelerate puberty, and gives children the body of adults. HS freshmen look like seniors. Some years ago, one 14 yr old girl was 5'7", big chest, wide shoulders, just a much bigger girl than a couple of years ago. I guess there's a chance she's just a freak of nature, her parents are a short unathletic looking < 5'6" couple. Her brother was a college athlete who was also 5'7", not nearly as strongly built.

Remember Lebron's body out of high school? It was like a 28yr old power forward. From what I've seen, it makes teenage bodies look much more mature. Not just tall, but filled out. I guess it could be some other stuff also. I don't know, but a couple coaches I know told me that a few kids are definitely using them.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? I think soccer would easily be the best sport for a child. Given that I've only played that sport couple of times in my life, I don't know much about playing it. But from what I've seen, the highest paid athletes in the world are auto racers and soccer players. Soccer is not height-dependent, either.

[/ QUOTE ]
++

If the kid has to stay in an American pro league for his career, obviously soccer is not the way to go. But there's a lot more money in soccer throughout the world than all of our sports combined.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:17 AM

Question 1's answer is obviously Cheerleading.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 AM

Saying basketball is ridiculous. That is probably the hardest sport to make the show.

If it was just about a scholarship, I'd say rowing/soccer. I've had friends of both genders get full rides to schools in rowing/soccer. Going pro, I'd say golf/tennis.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:11 AM

football kicker or punter. How many kids do you think start practicing young for that? I think that if you started a 5 year old with good lessons from an instructor and he liked it and practiced often, he'd have a very good shot at making the pros.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
football kicker or punter. How many kids do you think start practicing young for that? I think that if you started a 5 year old with good lessons from an instructor and he liked it and practiced often, he'd have a very good shot at making the pros.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, but how much crap r you going to get from your teammates/friends about being the kicker? Seems like they always get the ugliest cheerleader too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 06-03-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've actually had something like this happen to a good friend of mine recently.

Say you have a child under the age of 5. You're asked to make the child a professional athlete.

Which sport do you pick, if your goal is the following.
1) You want the child to receive a full college scholarship from playing his sport.
2) You want the child to become a professional athlete. The child should be able to make enough money playing that sport to take care of his expenses for most of life, given he's decent to good with his personal finance.

How about for a girl?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go with golf - works for a boy or a girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

To further elaborate, Golf is a game where by working hard for a long time (and with proper instruction) I think pretty much any healthy kid can probably get good enough to play at the college level. Can also make money at it even if not quite good enough to make the pro tour (although, again if they start young, work very hard and recieve top level instruction I would think making it to the pro level is more likely than in a more athletically focused sport).