Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Traveling to Vegas and effect on my game

I live in Michigan on EST and have traveled to Vegas several times during the last few months. Typically I have arrived at night and have been pretty tired and out of sorts the first few days. I have struggled with lossing sessions and not playing my best. It has also been difficult when I arrive in Vegas because all I really going there to do is play poker, eat, and sleep. But when I am at home I might play a couple evening sessions each weekend and that is it. Any more than that I my results go down, and I kind of get burned out on poker. SO when I am in Vegas I realized I need to pace myself.

I think I need to start off at lower limits too since there is a lot of poker to be played and since I am not feeling my normal self when I first arrive.

I am considering arriving in the afternoon the next time I go to Vegas to get adjusted and get a decent nights sleep the first night.

It's just that when I arrive I am so excited to go play and experience Vegas the last thing I want to do is sleep, but I also dont want to be a couple grand in the hole either.

I enjoy poker a lot more when I am playing my best and winning and when you start off in the hole it makes the experience miserable.

Does anyone else experience this? How do others from the east coast deal with time and money management when arriving in Vegas?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Traveling to Vegas and effect on my game

I make semi-regular trips to Vegas and Reno and have had something similar happen to me. I get there and walk around looking at all the stuff and then go into a noisy poker room and lose because I can't focus properly.

The fix, however, is easy. Get there late and plan to see some stuff and play a few slots, craps, or whatever. Go to bed late and then hit the tables noon'ish the next day after a nice breakfast.

You'll enjoy the trip more and do better playing.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:17 PM

Thats just what I was thinking... stick aside a little cash for some -ev gambling when you arrive. You'll have fun and might even end up.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I enjoy poker a lot more when I am playing my best and winning and when you start off in the hole it makes the experience miserable."

It's definitely safe to say that anything in this game is easier when you're not tired and when you're winning. You can make reads on other players to call bluffs, you can keep your patience at the times when you need to, and the overall experience is a lot more enjoyable.

The reason I quoted the part that I did, though, is because bankroll is the huge stresser in NL Hold 'em. You have to enjoy this game in order to be able to play it well, and there aren't many people who can enjoy it in the hole. So don't be in the hole! Budget a "poker fund" (5% - 10%) of your income if you can afford it. This is money that you don't mind losing if it absolutely comes to it, and it's money that will not have you stressing out because you're in the hole, because you're not in the hole anymore.

Then go to Vegas, and play big cards early on while you're getting reads on people at the table. If you play big cards, people will fear you initially, and you can win a lot more in the long run when you loosen up. Of course I know what it's like to be tired but energized by poker, but the track record you have clearly states that you need to do something differently. Getting some rest and changing your style of play may be that thing.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Cameron