Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Need to lose 100+ pounds

My current weight is 335lbs and I'd like to get it to around 200. I've lost ~ 30lbs over the last 5 months by eating better, but I'm not following a strict diet or anything. I'm trying to consume ~ 2000 calories/day.

Typical day for me unfortunately usually starts with NO breakfast and somehow I always seem to miss lunch because I'm busy at work. I know this isn't ideal.

I'm hoping the experts here can give me some advice on how many calories I should be eating, how much fat, protein, carbs, etc. And if possible point me in the direction of some good information on how what we eat affects our body.

I'm focusing on the diet right now, and will eventually add in working out. But for now I want to learn more about nutrition, etc.

If anyone can give me a hand, I'd appreciate it.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Need to lose 100+ pounds

Small steps, man. Make one change at a time, and wait until that change is a complete habit before adding anything else. I'd suggest the first one being having a heathly breakfast everyday...just make it an apple or something easy. If you have 10 extra minutes before work, have some oatmeal(non flavored or sweetened) with blueberries or strawberries in it....thats a great start to your day.

Next step may be eliminating your beverages and just drinking water. Buy a water bottle and fill it up throughout the day.

Another step may be to change all of your breads from whatever you're eating now to whole grain or wheat breads.

Don't be too afraid to reward yourself and enjoy an unhealthy meal once a week or so at first. For me, its usually Chipotle, as I simply love that stuff.

It sounds as if you're really motivated right now, and thats great. But trying to do too much too quickly will cause you to burnout imo. Diets never work, you need to make lifestyle changes. Make them slowly and go one step at a time.

You don't really need to learn any advanced concepts about nutrition just yet. I gather that you havn't been eating very healthy in the past. Well I'm sure you already know that a salad is better than fast food and a chicken breast is better than ice cream...simply start eating what you know to be healthy foods. Once you get down in weight a bit and it becomes harder to lose weight, then start studying nutrition more in depth and changing your diet.

Oh and theres no reason to not start some working out ASAP. It really can't hurt, and I've found that working out only motivates you even more to eat healthy.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:19 PM

I see that you say you are never having breakfast and usually missing lunch. I know you included this because you knew it was wrong, but this is definitely something you need to change ASAP. There is no such thing as no time for breakfast. Period. Piece of toast with peanut butter and a yogurt. Banana and a cliff bar. Protein shake. You can find breakfast options that literally take <1 minute prep time and <5 minutes to eat.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Next step may be eliminating your beverages and just drinking water. Buy a water bottle and fill it up throughout the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything Assani said but I'd make this my first change. Being properly hydrated and not adding all the extra sugar/caffeine etc will make it much easier to tackle the other changes.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:16 PM

You need to plan ahead more. Prepare good things to eat for breakfast and lunch ahead of time. Cliff bars or energy bars of your choice are a good idea because you can eat those on the go, either during your commute or during a break at work.

Switching to water for most of your fluids is a good idea as well.

Whatever your schdule is try not to eat for two hours before going to bed.

Weigh yourself once a week and keep track of it in a spreadsheet or notebook or something so you can see what is going on. Set quarterly goals and mark them on the spreadsheet as well.

Remember that you didn't to be as big as you are overnight and won't get rid of overnight either.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?
Old 06-02-2007, 02:46 PM

Eating healthy is definetely crucial, but I can't see how you can overlook working out. You don't even need to be going to the gym and lifting really. Working out could entail simply walking to work, or walking your dog every day. If you play poker, a nice long walk after/during sessions to reflect on hands is very helpful.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fairly often repeated myth about weight loss, there is no real reason for it as long as you dont gorge yourself before bed obv.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:37 PM

Do you have source for that guids? Not doubting just curious.

Thinking about it I can't remember what the reason was in the books that I had read about it. Probably will help with snacking though as what you eat late at night doesn't tend to be all that great for you.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Its not a fact or a myth right now...studies have actually been very inconclusive regarding it. The original thought was that since you burn the least amount of calories when sleeping that its worse to eat right before then. Others came along and said that you should just avoid simple carbs before bed. And now some have called it all a myth.