Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Re: How does it interest God to give us free will?

[ QUOTE ]

I think you and I just have different names for the same things, because I call this 'filling the gap with God'.

[/ QUOTE ]

A gap will always exist because man is finite. It is in our nature to fill that gap with something. Atheists do so just as much as theists. And there are really only two choices to fill it with.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If I think you're irrational does that mean you're going to ignore me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, when you just state it and don't demonstrate it and whenever I give reasons you ignore them and call me deluded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I ever did that. Well, it's your call. I tried to have a good debate with you, I didn't insult you nor did I ever dismiss your point as irrational and didn't notion it when giving my counter arguments.

I wish there would be more theists on this board. Debating would be much more fruitful when I don't constantly have to play with the word 'rational' and beware that by using it "wrong" in my debate pal's mind he doesn't play with me anymore.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think you and I just have different names for the same things, because I call this 'filling the gap with God'.

[/ QUOTE ]

A gap will always exist because man is finite. It is in our nature to fill that gap with something. Atheists do so just as much as theists. And there are really only two choices to fill it with.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is when you fill the gap with god, science eventually removes god and fills it with fact. When lightning was not understood, you filled the gap with god, he is now removed. I will not bother making a whole list of things now explained with science that had been filled with god...but you must get the point. Science is winning....god does not control even 5 % of what he has historically been given credit for.

Please dont respond with "god actually controls everything"
Old 06-01-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is when you fill the gap with god, science eventually removes god and fills it with fact. When lightning was not understood, you filled the gap with god, he is now removed. I will not bother making a whole list of things now explained with science that had been filled with god...but you must get the point. Science is winning....god does not control even 5 % of what he has historically been given credit for.

Please dont respond with "god actually controls everything"

[/ QUOTE ]

Science, has not, nor ever will, satisfactorily answer the "First Cause" question which initiated the Big Bang. I think God is going to safely hang onto that one for some time to come.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Science, has not, nor ever will, satisfactorily answer the "First Cause" question which initiated the Big Bang. I think God is going to safely hang onto that one for some time to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's conceivable that science could some day produce theories for where the big bang came from. Theories that might actually corollate in some way we can't yet imagine with empirical observables. So I think the Ulitmate Question is better framed as, "Why not Nothing?"

PairTheBoard
Old 06-02-2007, 12:51 AM

I don't agree with your 4th premise,

I think it's in God's nature to do good, I think he finds 'interest' in people who have the option to both good and evil.
It's the choosing of the good that gives him pleasure.

I also can't possible know what God sees or feels,
But, given your premises are correct then it's possible he enjoys watching people choosing good, just as you or I enjoy hearing a well told story that we already know the ending to.