Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: calculating outs...

Your prob thinking this because the percentages you see on tv are exact because they know everyones cards. At the table you dont know this so your outs are calculated assuming that none of your outs have been folded or are in someone elses hand.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 AM

ok..say for example there are 5 players in a table and 3 of them fold their hands preflop. So in a total there are 6folded cards. I am holding a pair of suited hearts. Flop comes 2hearts one spade. So whats my odds of hitting flush? 47:9(decducting my hole cards and flop cards only) or 39:9(there are 39 cards left in the deck)
Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 AM

Since u dont know which cards are fold, u can assume they returned back to the deck.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:26 PM

since all the cards are unknown you have 9 out of 47. You only take out cards you can see
Old 06-01-2007, 12:49 AM

So what about in cases where you KNOW for a fact that someone else is on a flushdraw and you have one of your own? In these cases i'd remove those two or one outs if I had a good read. Good move or foolish? http://rolledontheriver.com/?p=14 for reference
Old 06-01-2007, 02:33 AM

i suppose you could if you are almost certain he is also on a flush draw. But i wouldnt
Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 PM

Default I believe Gordon discussed this...

in "the little green book". He discusses calculating outs and there are times you "counterfeit" you outs due to some of your outs being folded.

For instance, if you calculate your outs at 9 there are times you may want to do your odds calculations with 7 or 8. Counterfeit your number of outs to account for those cards that may have been folded.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: I believe Gordon discussed this...

[ QUOTE ]
in "the little green book". He discusses calculating outs and there are times you "counterfeit" you outs due to some of your outs being folded.

For instance, if you calculate your outs at 9 there are times you may want to do your odds calculations with 7 or 8. Counterfeit your number of outs to account for those cards that may have been folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong
Old 06-02-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Care to explain vgs?

rather than just being a d i c k and just saying wrong tell me what it says.

It's been a long time since I listened to that book. I have it on cd. I travel a lot.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: I believe Gordon discussed this...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. His explanation might be a litle muddled but discounting your outs is the best wayto go.

Example: you're on an open ended straight draw. so you should have 8 outs. Well what if there is two to a flush on the board? Now it's possible that two of your outs could make someone else a flush, in which case you might discount to 6 outs. You're not discounting for your outs being folded, but the possibility of some of your outs making some else a better hand. Example #2 you hold AK and board comes Q,J,9. You have two overcards so you might assume 6 outs (any K or A will beat somebody with a pir of Q's, J,s or 9's) But what if a player has K,T or A,T, ?(or already has two pair) Then hitting one of your outs makes them a straight. The point is that your outs are not all "clean" winners. You can still make the hand you hope for and get beat. So maybe here you discount to 4 or even 3. How much you discount will depend on your opponents style and how many are in the hand.