Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2006, 06:43 PM

Default Re: So i dropped out of school today...

Dude, if you have the compacity to beat high stakes limit hold'em games you definitly have the ability to go to class for 2-3 hours a day and do 5-15 hours of school work outside of class during the week and still graduate with a good GPA. More importantly you are going to become a [censored] loser being a pro poker player and miss out on many social aspects of college. Not to mention what might happen if this 'poker' thing doesnt quite work out and it becomes illegal or you over estimated your skill level or something. Basically dropping out of college = really dumb. Now if I missed something in your OP and it turns out you just want to take a couple years to wing it and then return to college then that would be different. But ask yourself this, do you really want to play poker for the rest of your life?

Of course I also saw a post from you the other day where you made 40K in a night playing with neverwin. If I ever even came close to making that kind of money I am sure my perspective might change. I wish you the best of luck in your quest though.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now if I missed something in your OP and it turns out you just want to take a couple years to wing it and then return to college then that would be different.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no plans for the future and this is always an option
Old 02-27-2006, 07:08 PM

Anyone who says this is a tragic mistake is wrong. As long as he manages his bankroll well and doesn't go busto, NW can easily re-enroll in college whenever he likes.

James has a good point though, which is that you need to stay involved socially. I'm pretty sure your best course of action is to rent a house near campus and throw huge killer parties with Snoop Dogg as the musical entertainment.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
James has a good point though, which is that you need to stay involved socially. I'm pretty sure your best course of action is to rent a house near campus and throw huge killer parties with Snoop Dogg as the musical entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

now thats an idea!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2006, 07:21 PM

I don't think that droping out is a poor decision, but it isn't a good sign that you couldn't motivate yourself- going to class is alot easier (though clearly with a greater upside) than grinding poker.

I wish you the best
Old 02-27-2006, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure there is homework and crap like that. My theory is that college students blow the studying/homework angle out of proportion. I think a lot of this is show. I managed to get a B.S. in Computer Science in 4 years with minimal studying and still had a good GPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

This really depends on the school and the individual. Some people are not as smart/efficient as you, so they may have to put in more hours studying for similar or worse results. It doesn't mean that they are blowing the studying and homework out of proportion. And if you were in a CS program where you didn't do much outside of class and did well, it was likely not a very good CS program.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that droping out is a poor decision, but it isn't a good sign that you couldn't motivate yourself- going to class is alot easier (though clearly with a greater upside) than grinding poker.

I wish you the best

[/ QUOTE ]

less of an upside?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
matt,

this is something that i thought about doing as well, its probably not a bad idea really, but for one thing, it will require me to stay up here and i am sort of looking forward to the freedom of not having any real responsibilities, i know thats not a great answer, but really, i just dont have any interest in my classes at the moment and would rather do other things with my time

as far as social life, i have a lot of friends still around in my hometown and really, i play a lot more online poker out here at school than i do when im at home

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodluck. Let us know how things go
Old 02-27-2006, 08:21 PM

You are an idiot. You will be broke in 2 years or less.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:26 PM

I am in a vewry similar situation. Been going to university for the last 2.5 years and been doing fine, I now find myself in a situation were i just can't find anymore motivation.
I think this has a lot to do with me earning more with poker right now, than i ever could imagine with a "normal" job after finishing university. The only thing that keeps me in university is the insecure future of online poker. I suppose if someone could tell me for sure that online poker will be the same for the next 20-25 years i would not spent much more time at school.

Newhizzle how long have you been playing online poker and how much do u play a week ?

-Stefan