Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: So, What are you grilling this weekend?

[ QUOTE ]
My family is having our second annual "Sausage fest" (ha, ha, get it.) We are going to local meat markets and picking up some house specialties, grilling them up and comparing. So far we have:

Cajun Brats
Hawaian Sausage (teriyaki/pineapple flavorings)
South African Sausage
Dogs (from a local place that makes killer dogs)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sausage fest will now be an annual event for the kick-off of summer at the Blues household. It was so awesome...

We ended up with 7 different variants of sausage. The winner for flavor was either the cajun brat or the hawaian. The flavor of the cajun was exceptional although a bit hot --- it would be excellent cooked in something (like a cajun alfredo).

Here is a rundown of the 7 sausages that made my life happy on Memorial Day:
Cajun Brat (really good)
Hawaian Sausage --- very good a little sweet, nice/subtle flavors
Boerwors (south african) --- so-so, good flavor but kind of boring
Hot Dogs (from a market called Bobeck's) - Very good, high flavor, good "snap" when bitten into
Old World Sausage (Bobeck's) - meh
"Grill Sausage" (Bobeck's) - I thought this was much like a kielbasa --- good though not great
Chorizo (in the stuffed pablanos) - excellent. I've had really bad/greasy chorizo --- this was very good.

Next year we are going to have t-shirts made up. Suggested sayings would be appreciated...some that were considered:
Sausage Fest 2008 --- where the elite meet to eat meat
Sausage Fest 2008 --- Open Mouth, Insert Sausage

My sister has already started shopping around for sausages for next year
Old 05-29-2007, 02:50 PM

Quick question, kind of off-topic..

Can anyone point me towards a new grill to buy? I don't need anything state of the art or expensive as I just need one for basic grilling purposes. Is there any difference in quality between grills, or any brands to stay away from?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:46 PM

gas or charcoal?

I have the Weber Platinum Charcoal grill. I bought it 4 years ago or so. It doesn't have the one touch igniter that I think comes standard on the model now. (I prefer to start my own coals.) It looks like this though. I like that there is a table, a place to hang tools, and a shelf below to hold charcoal, an ash collector below, etc. All in all a perfect set up for me. I've always had Weber charcoal grills and have always loved them. For charcoal grilling, a standard Weber is not a bad place to start. I can't recommend anything for gas grills, as it's not my griling way.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:04 PM

Smoked some fatties (the other type)
Buy a 1 pound roll of sausage - your choice: Breakfast, Italian; Hot; whatever. Carefully cut it out of the wrapper retaining its shape. Stuff it with cheddar cheese, onions, peppers & reform. Roll in BBQ seasoning and a little brown sugar. Smoke at 225 until the internal hits 165. Slice and eat!

Smoked a chicken using cherry wood

Finished it off with a Key Lime Cheesecake
Old 05-30-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, What are you grilling this weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to grill the Pope's head but it was unavailable. Perhaps next year.

-Zeno: A man on a Mission from God.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:07 PM

Boot - I cook everything in a standard Weber. Once you learn to control the temperature, you can cook anything with anything, even slow cooked barbecue. One key thing to consider is not the brand of grill, but how much cooking space you need. Also, buy charcoal if you want it to taste better, buy gas if you want to eat fast with less hassle. I'm with mermade, I roll with charcoal.

slamdunkpro- nh on the sausage. That looks good. I want to try that.

Everyone - Stuff each hamburger with 3 fat slices of butter. Cheese, mushrooms, etc. on top.

Did some large rosemary shrimp this past weekend. Butterfly them, then cut a whole bunch of stalks off a rosemary bush. Skewer the shrimp with rosemary stalks, then take the rest of the rosemary (as much as you can) and put it on top of the coals right before you put the shrimp on. Cover grill and turn after 3 mins. The water in the rosemary stalks grill/steams the shrimp with a nice rosemary flavor.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boot - I cook everything in a standard Weber. Once you learn to control the temperature, you can cook anything with anything, even slow cooked barbecue. One key thing to consider is not the brand of grill, but how much cooking space you need. Also, buy charcoal if you want it to taste better, buy gas if you want to eat fast with less hassle. I'm with mermade, I roll with charcoal.

slamdunkpro- nh on the sausage. That looks good. I want to try that.

Everyone - Stuff each hamburger with 3 fat slices of butter. Cheese, mushrooms, etc. on top.

Did some large rosemary shrimp this past weekend. Butterfly them, then cut a whole bunch of stalks off a rosemary bush. Skewer the shrimp with rosemary stalks, then take the rest of the rosemary (as much as you can) and put it on top of the coals right before you put the shrimp on. Cover grill and turn after 3 mins. The water in the rosemary stalks grill/steams the shrimp with a nice rosemary flavor.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do slow bbq, you have to get a weber smoky mountain, I cant replicate the same greatness with my normal weber. I saw something similar to your shrimp on teh foods channel. 2 salad bowls, shirmp/skewers, and a chimney of hot charcoal, along with a bunch of wood chips soaked for an hour in water. Dump the charcaol into one bowl, put the wet wood chips on top of the charcoal so you cant see the coals anymore, put shrimp directly on wood, cover with other bowl. It looked really good.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds really good but also sounds like I'd die if I ate more than one.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:58 PM

salmon w/marinade:
marinade: soy sauce, peanut oil, ginger, mirin. let salmon steaks sit for a few hours.

urban southwestern corn on the cob:
melted butter, pepper flakes, dash of paprika, salt and pepper.
whisk together
remove hair from corn but keep on husk. brush corn w/the butter. pull husk back on corn. cook on embers rotating every few minutes.

lamb kabob: red onion, yellow bell pepper, green zucchini/squash, eggplant, and lamb. cube lamb and rough chop the veggies. skewer accordingly. season w/salt.
brush w/olive oil and grill over medium heat.

wine: we'll probably be drinking chard.
beer: sierra nevada or any kind of pale ale in the bodega.
if it's more than 6 people over i have some burgundy blanc but or it's only a few of us, i have 2 bottles of groth chard that i've been wanting to drink.

anyboyd know where i can get that greek yogurt stuff in nyc? preferably downtown manhattan?
Old 06-01-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to try to grill some fruits as described in Alton Brown's book.

[/ QUOTE ]

last time I melted butter/brown sugar and brushed it on whlie grilling. it caramlized great. serve ala mode.

PSA: labroatrie di gelato (sp?) in the lower east side has some great flavors in.