Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Patience? I need help.

Since I started to take poker seriously in December, I've learned a lot about this game. I feel that I have become a dangerous player at the table and online. I seem to have a problem when I start losing, I go on tilt, play too high of levels and tilt off my roll. My ROI this month was up to 94%, then I hit a wall. I played PLO and lost everything. I know I can be successful at this game and reap the rewards, but I need advice on how to stay cool through variance and other stretches of bad runs. I know people will say smoke some weed, but I can't afford that and I need other advice. Please give me some good advice,

Robert
Old 05-28-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Patience? I need help.

realize what you are playing for and that tilt is counter productive. thats all i can really say.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel that I have become a dangerous player at the table and online.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but given your problem this is just laughable. Until you conquer this problem and stop losing all of your money you need to get over this delusion and accept that you're still a fish. Bankroll management and emotional discipline are just as important to poker life as knowing what to do with cards and chips.

You need to establish clearly defined bankroll management rules. Write them down and stick them in front of you. Whenever you start losing money faster than you normally do assume you're on tilt and quit the session. If you feel like breaking a BR management rule you're definitely on tilt and NEED to quit the session. If you find yourself incapable of following these simple guidelines then you have serious addiction/compulsion issues. If you can't follow these guidelines all is not lost, but you certainly have a lot of work ahead of you. Sorry for the harsh tone but it's for your benefit.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:30 PM

yes, if you follow good bankroll management it should help stop tilt. Never put more than 10% of you bankroll at most in play at anytime. When youre running bad and you can feel that tilt coming around, and you get rivered again o put you down 3 buy ins, just get up and walk away. Usually ill get my free hands first, but if im pist and want to punch a wall doing aything but walking away is -EV
Old 05-29-2007, 12:19 AM

Starts with self discipline, you might need to learn it elsewhere before you can excercise it at the tables.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:35 PM

Nothing dangerous about a player who tilts off his whole roll, bro. I also struggle intermittently with patience problems. Sometimes I'm card-dead for a long stretch, or slightly out-kicked in a fairly big hand and it makes me mad. I think that the key to avoiding tilt as much as possible is trying to have fun while you play, whilst maintaining a serious attitude.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:28 AM

i think you guys are misunderstanding him, he's a danger to HIMSELF because he tilts off money etc.

op, there's no magic bullet here, everyone has the same issues you do, it's a very natural reaction to high varience game (and i don't even play plo). this is something you'll have to actively work at getting better at, just like any other skill. when you feel the tilt coming on, the desire to play higher games, to gamble, to get tricky, etc. you need to just stop for the day. the games aren't going anywhere and you're not helping yourself by playing in those circumstances. at the end of the week/month sit down and review all your big hands. identify how much tilt cost you or what you lost playing above your roll. think about how much money that is and hopefully if you really work at it you'll get closer to eliminating tilt.

good luck, this is a skill just like anything else and takes a lot of work for some people.