Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: So U R going to LV During WSOP---STFU and watch!

I'm going to keep watch for these stories. I too want to be signed up, in countries that allow dealers to have cattle prods that is. Day 7 of the main event last time I said "xxxxx, I know you're cutting dealers, cut me. I've had enough." I would have gotten fired if I got certain jerks at my table.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i like this post.

are you working at rio?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is a very experienced dealer, so the answer is no.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I miss u RR! We gonna see you in Vegas soon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probablly not too soon. Half my staff has off for the WSOP. I am still introducing the players here to "Floor Supervisors are to consider the best interest of the game and fairness as the top priority in the decision making process. Unusual circumstances and irregularities can, on occasion dictate that the technical interpretation of the rules be ignored in the interest of fairness."
Old 05-31-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With respect to hand #2, in NJ the rule is different in the two big rooms. At the Taj, seat 1 would show first; at the Borgata, seat #2 (the last aggressor on the turn) would show first.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, are you sure? ive played at the borgata a lot, and i dont remember any funny rule like this. i dont remember ever seeing a showdown in this situation where the player in position shows first
Old 06-01-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Folks dont forget, your not in your local card barn. your somewhere else and must go by that particular rooms rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, you don't know the most basic of grammar rules. It's "you're" not "your".

Good story though.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:31 AM

I don't know why more people don't ask about some basic rules whenever they go to a new cardroom. Some people are just shy I guess, or wrongly assume rules are consistent across poker rooms.

Dealers/brush have always been happy to help and answer questions. Just ask! You'll avoid these situations altogether.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why more people don't ask about some basic rules whenever they go to a new cardroom. Some people are just shy I guess, or wrongly assume rules are consistent across poker rooms.

Dealers/brush have always been happy to help and answer questions. Just ask! You'll avoid these situations altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

The #1 reason why this is a problem is the card rooms themselves. The room should provide rulebooks (they do at Commerce for example) but they rarely do anywhere else. Without a rulebook how is a tourist supposed to know the rules of a specific poker room? Until rulebooks are made available in Vegas rooms we should start putting the blame on the card room rather than the ignorance of the tourist/player.

The #2 reason why is that the dealers although meaning well, they may not do a good enough job explaining to the tourist why the rules are different. Its easy to state the rule, but when the player doesn't understand the dealer should help explain why the rule is different to expedite the hand. Most dealers don't do this because they don't see from the POV of the tourist, so its harder for them to relate. This is not a major issue, but it would help if there was better communication of course.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:57 AM

I don't mind the 20-somethings that hit Vegas for the first time for WSOP and start quoting their home game rules long as they politely accept correction. "OK, guess things are different in Vegas" is a great response when a dealer tells you what the REAL rule is. Screaming and calling the dealer and the players and the floors ignorant donkeys and exclaiming about how you keep getting screwed over and over and over in every room you visit is not a great response (well--actually it is a great response, in its own way, just not the same way as the polite acceptance of correction response is a great response).
Old 06-01-2007, 02:35 AM

Is the "last aggressive action shows first" rule controversial? I'd look at the dealer like he grew a second head if he asked me to show first. I'd just like to know so I can give the floor pre-emtive crap about a horrible rule.

Edit: I can't spell pre-emptive.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The #1 reason why this is a problem is the card rooms themselves. The room should provide rulebooks (they do at Commerce for example) but they rarely do anywhere else. Without a rulebook how is a tourist supposed to know the rules of a specific poker room? Until rulebooks are made available in Vegas rooms we should start putting the blame on the card room rather than the ignorance of the tourist/player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you are mistaken about this, Without actually debating the merits of handing players a rulebook, I think its pretty fair to say that most of the people (especially the people bigfishead is talking about) simply would not even bother to ask for a the book or read the book at least until after the argument/floor ruling.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the "last aggressive action shows first" rule controversial? I'd look at the dealer like he grew a second head if he asked me to show first. I'd just like to know so I can give the floor pre-emtive crap about a horrible rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Standard" in Vegas is "last aggressor shows first if there was action on the river. If the river was checked down, hands are shown starting with left of the button and working around. Which is what fishhead describes, he just phrased it differently.

There are exceptions. Dunno if they still do it, or if they ever really did it, but a dealer once explained in great and explicit detail that the rule at Bally's is last aggressor shows first, regardless of what street the action took place. So if it's bet on the flop, but checked on the turn and river, whomever bet the flop is first to show. But that's unusual and I was never really sure that was an official Bally's rule and not just a single dealer on crack. I was surprised by this and made sure she had said what I thought she said, and she explained she was 100% sure that was the official Bally's rule. But I never asked a floor and oddly enough, in like the year since that happened there hasn't been any controversy about who shows first when I've played at Bally's.