Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Re: PS3 release/purchase/resell

bump
I found that I had this thread bookmarked from much earlier since I found it earlier. So, let's hear the post-story. Did release day buy-resell bomb? I know that the current state is poor and the reselling did poorly only a while into the release...
Old 02-03-2007, 03:48 PM

There were a bunch of threads on it in the Monemaking and Moderators forums.

Those who put their preorders up for sale before the launch date did well. Those who got their orders on launch day and put them up did ok. Those who waited more than a couple days barely got back their money.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:24 PM

I guess it's time to update this again [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Regarding fall of '06
I made out ok last fall but not as good as I'd hoped and not as good as last year. (more help, higher demand system) At least I now understand the system a bit better and I'd like to share.

The playstation release on the 17th i think, and the wii on the 19th. At walmarts, they release at midnight instead of the morning, so you usually end up with a shorter waiting period. We were 12th in line and we got to walmart about 3pm on the 18th. waited for 8 hours and picked up two systems. (most of my friends had to work this time) I always give my friends at least a 5% cut of the profit and buy them lunch, dinner, etc. I made close to 200$ a system because I screwed up my ebay listing times. Not bad, although not as good as last year, and either could have been double or triple as good.

One hint, choose a new walmart that not as many people know about. Another idea to boost profits is to preorder a system, but that also includes waiting in line, albeit in better weather, and being on top of the preorder rls date. (unless you know someone) Also, this year the gamestores in my area were careful to only take as many preorders as they had systems for.

I tried to do the same with the ps3, but there was no use, most places around here had lines backed up for 2-3 days with prospects of 3-10 systems per store. I'm not if it would have been worth it. $1300*2/72hrs = 36$ / hr. meh. (i'd even buy systems at 10$/hr profit, but i'm not keen on waiting more than 16 hours)
Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 PM

Regarding ebay:
They limited pre-sells of ps3 and wii's to 1 or 2 (can't remember) per person, you had to post a reciept, and have at least a certain amount of good feedback or you were canceled. On top of that, paypal stopped my transactions until they got reciept copies too, one system got stuck on a shelf at a brazillian post office and the other got stuck in israeli customs. (they eventually found their way)

Anyway, yes. Pre-list the systems and have them end ON the evening BEFORE launch day. I garuntee that is the best way to make money. Although you better be sure you are getting a system, eg. waiting in line near the front as the auction is ending. Otherwise cancel it appropriately. The longer you wait, the lower your price goes and there is a HUGE price drop between launch eve and launch day because of the influx of in-hand systems that get dumped on ebay.

Regarding distributors and re-selling:
I did a little searching in january and found this. http://www.nintendo.com/corp/distrib....jsp#ingrament
(i can't find the link from sony, but it's almost the same) So i went and got my tax id number, which was free, and here you don't need a business liscense until you make over 3k in profit. (but watch that tax id, if you don't sell anything, you still have to report NO INCOME every quarter or get charged a 15$ late fee).

I signed up with D&H and Ingram micro. The sad realization, EVERYTHING, not just game systems, is not much if any cheaper than ebay. You may break even after shipping. And yes, hot items go to big businesses first. There's no room for a nub like me in there.

I checked some wholesale forums and they said the best way to get stuff cheap enough to sell on ebay is to make personal contacts. I wanted to get into electronics and they said the best way was to buy from the markets in china or some other asian country i can't remember.
Anyway, i really didn't get into the details because i needed to focus on my degree. But i do know i'll probably try to get as many pre-orders as i can each year to get a nice little bonus!