Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 03:12 PM

Default SA poker open squeezes

Hand 1

early on Day 2 $3000 SA poker open

History: first hand at new table, no reads. I have 22k stack. Average is 35k. MP has 70k. CO has 28k. Blinds 500/1000 +100 ante.

I have AQcc UTG, i raise to 2500. MP calls. CO raises all in. Am i being squeezed?

Hand 2

later on day 2 in South African Poker Open
blinds 600/1200 + 100 ante.

UTG has 60k (loose player, been cold calling many raises and has folded to reraises after he open raises) The same cold caller of hand 1
MP has 35k (tight solid player)
Hero (button) has 26k (my table image is good. players respect my bets and i have yet to show a hand)

UTG raises 4800, MP calls, folded to me
I have 99

How do i play this?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: SA poker open squeezes

Tough hands. The 99 hand is tough if you think the solid player the kind of guy who would cold call hands like JJ-TT there, and also call your allin with them. If it was random player I would say it's a very easy allin.

Probably an allin anyway, pot is just so gigantic and MP might even fold TT to your allin.

Hand 1 I wouldn't assume you are being squeezed. Makes no sense I mean you raise UTG people don't usually just randomly try to steal from UTG raisers. The main question is whether you think you have the right odds to call against his range, but no reason at all to think he's doing some elaborate squeeze play.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:23 PM

Hand 1: Probably not. Most players don't know what a squeeze play is, and most who do aren't going to run it against an UTG raiser. Even if he has weaker hands a small percentage of the time, the shover's range is composed primarily of hands that crush you, so you still need to fold.

Hand 2: The solid player is calling off more than 10% of his stack pre-flop, which is worrisome and suggets he's strong. Onthe other hand, you've got the perfect stack to shove and a pretty strong hand for it. Plus, it sounds like you're got the right table image and read on the raiser, so I'd shove and hope for the best.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:56 PM

first hand is a fold imo.

hand 2 i think is also a fold but much closer. tt+/ak is my shove range here w/ given info, but depending on how loose utg has been and how good mp is, i could see shoving. mainly because like others have said the pot is huge and your stack is great for it.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:01 PM

Hand 1: Online I'd tend to call but people seem so much more passive live.

2: So much money in the middle. Still I'm not sure what type of stuff he's coldcalling here. I can't think of many hands tight solid guys are calling here besides AQ and stuff looking to trap.

V tough spot.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM

Hand 1: very unlikely you are being squeezed since you opened from UTG. I think it's a fold.

Hand 2: given that you have a good table image, perfect stack for a squeeze and that UTG is a LAG this seems like a good spot for a squeeze/shove.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:41 PM

Hand 1: I don't see any reason why he would be squeezing with a weak hand here.

Hand 2: The cold call is pretty much always ahead of you, and I don't think you have much FE.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:05 PM

when i read the subject line i was trying to figure out if "SA" stood for "San Antonio" or "Something Awful". boy was i surprised.

hand 1 prob fold, hand 2 shove
Old 06-04-2007, 05:41 AM

i folded hand 1.

shoved hand 2.
UTG instacalled, and MP looked pained and eventually called and then UTG pushed a 844(rainbow) flop where the MP (who didn't have much back also called)

Was up against 10 10 of UTG and JJ of MP.

What do you guys think of the MP line of cold calling preflop with JJ?

i initially thought it was terrible, but i am biased as if he raised i get away here.