Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: $30K Missing from Absolute Poker Account!! Help Please.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I have $5K locked up in Eurobet and I'm not sure how I can get that out, partially because I'm lazy. They no longer have any legit cashout methods, I don't know if I want to deal with EcoCard and I'm not looking forward to figuring out bank wires. But I am sure that they will try to screw me though because they would rather I keep that money there forever until I lose it to rake or -EV gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]
???

What's wrong with Moneybookers?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think they get charged about 5% on all transaction.

$30 000*5%= $1500 in fee they pay when you deposit.

If a lot of players make large deposit and withraw without playing it get expensive for the site.

Im not 100% sure for the 5% but even at 2% it add up very quick.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right of course, but this is a cost of these sites doing business. I will never have sympathy for the business costs of a poker site, as long as it's within their rules and not some deliberate form of scamming them. They do also make 5% interest per year on the money held at their sites. And on top of that they charge exorbitant rake for a service that is cheap to provide in exchange for poor customer service.

So I see where the poker sites are coming from. But imagine you have $50K in Neteller and they suddenly inform you that they will be closing operations for your country in a week or so. And you know that US players have recently had their money frozen in Neteller for months due to not cashing out from there right away, even though they followed the advice given from Neteller.

What would you do in this scenario? The advice that I gave turned out to be bad. In fact Neteller has still allowed Canadians to cash out their money after the deadline and nobody's money was seized. But at the time my advice was to get all of the money out of there ASAP on to any trustworthy poker sites which would accept it.

I don't think that constitutes money laundering. That is just a cost of these gambling sites doing business (and making a killing) off of a quasi-illegal and unregulated business which may have payment processing companies jumping ship at any time. Absolute does not appear to be a trustworthy poker site.

I am a bit surprised that poker players would take the side of a poker site in a situation that has been very difficult for players to handle. Personally I have $5K locked up in Eurobet and I'm not sure how I can get that out, partially because I'm lazy. They no longer have any legit cashout methods, I don't know if I want to deal with EcoCard and I'm not looking forward to figuring out bank wires. But I am sure that they will try to screw me though because they would rather I keep that money there forever until I lose it to rake or -EV gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly you should have to pay absolute a fee for safekeeping your money. They are not a bank. And yes technically what you did is a form of money laundering. You moved money around from account to account in order to prevent it from being frozen.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Honestly you should have to pay absolute a fee for safekeeping your money. They are not a bank. And yes technically what you did is a form of money laundering. You moved money around from account to account in order to prevent it from being frozen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well not me personally, but I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Also, she did play on this site, it's not like she moved the money there just for safe keeping. It was with plans to play some before withdrawing. Obviously as a winning poker player she was hoping to withdraw more than she had initially deposited, which apparently is a crime.

So answer my question what you would have done in this position then? Say you're from Angola, Neteller sends you an email saying we don't do business with Angolans anymore starting in a week. What do you do with the $50K in your Neteller account?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I have $5K locked up in Eurobet and I'm not sure how I can get that out, partially because I'm lazy. They no longer have any legit cashout methods, I don't know if I want to deal with EcoCard and I'm not looking forward to figuring out bank wires. But I am sure that they will try to screw me though because they would rather I keep that money there forever until I lose it to rake or -EV gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]
???

What's wrong with Moneybookers?

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know Eurobet uses Moneybookers now, so thanks for the information. I haven't been following your thread lately. I will see if Eurobet will allow me to change my withdraw method to that.

I don't know how some people have been playing as online pros for so many years now. It's hard not to get disillusioned with these poker sites despite earning money from other players playing a fun game.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:13 PM

this is standard for AP.

i've got $500 tied up, b/c i tried to cash it out and they automatically seize your funds w/o sending an email if you try to cashout for the first time.

really good site, AP.