Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 02:17 AM

Default GRE scores?

Hey all,

I'm looking to apply to chem grad school this fall but haven't taken my GRE / GRE chem tests yet (oops). This is probably a long shot but do any of you know the ballpark score programs such as Harvard / MIT / Stanford, etc. are looking for? Probably wishful thinking at this point for me to get accepted into one of these programs but hey, you never know! Anyhow, any information would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Re: GRE scores?

I have no idea but I would assume this information would be availbale with a little Google research (i.e. GMAT scores aren't too hard to find for these schools using Google)
Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 AM

I just want to be clear, you're planning on submitting the applications in the fall which would mean you're starting in 2008 right? Cause if you wanted to start grad school this year you're way way too late for that.

For any top tier science program your letters of recommendation/previous research experience are going to be a lot more important than your GRE scores. I really have no idea what they'd be looking for in terms of GRE scores though. However, if you have some solid research experience, ie. you're like middle author on a paper or presented a poster or two at a conference, that can make up for mediocre GRE scores.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:19 AM

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I got into MIT and Stanford with an 800 math 640 English. This was the chemical engineering Ph.D. program at both schools. I know people who got in with less. GREs were not that important relative to other things, like recommendations and undergraduate performance.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 AM

I concur with the previous two posters. I've been told that at top math and engineering schools (and I'd assume science too) that your recommendations, marks and research experience (if you have any) are much more important than your GRE and statement. At lesser schools I believe GRE is a greater factor.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:28 AM

My impression is that most major programs in hard science basically expect a near-perfect math GRE score, and don't really care about verbal or writing. Most of the students they accept are international students who don't really have a chance of doing well on what is basically a quiz of obscure English vocabulary, and schools don't want to penalize them for that. On the other hand, anyone who is serious candidate for these schools should be able to get a perfect math score easily unless they are careless.

Basically, having a low math GRE score would probably disqualify you from these programs. Beyond that, other aspects of your application will matter much more.

At this point, you also have plenty of time to take the test. You can schedule it whenever you want, as long as it is at least about three weeks before the application deadline. I took mine in December for January 1 deadlines, and had no problems....but some schools have earlier deadlines than this.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:53 PM

I'll just echo what everyone else has said, as far as I know for top teir science/math programs a good GRE score won't help you. But a bad GRE math score will make it almost impossible to get in.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:54 PM

A perfect score on GRE Math is only the 92nd percentile. In other words, almost 1/10 takers ace the math. You're probably gonna have to do that well for Harvard/MIT/Stanford. Luckily the math on the GRE is a joke.

Not sure about the Chem test.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just want to be clear, you're planning on submitting the applications in the fall which would mean you're starting in 2008 right? Cause if you wanted to start grad school this year you're way way too late for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, yeah, sorry if I didn't make that clear, I'm graduating in June of 2008, so I'd be applying this fall.

[ QUOTE ]
For any top tier science program your letters of recommendation/previous research experience are going to be a lot more important than your GRE scores. I really have no idea what they'd be looking for in terms of GRE scores though. However, if you have some solid research experience, ie. you're like middle author on a paper or presented a poster or two at a conference, that can make up for mediocre GRE scores.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that this is true from a couple of grad students already, though I dunno, I guess it's still a little hard to believe that they care so little about standardized tests (though it probably makes sense since standardized tests don't evaluate much anyway). I have some pretty solid research experience in a chem lab, improving an algorithm for the purposes of drug discovery. Supposedly we'll be publishing a paper soon, hopefully by the end of the summer if all goes to plan accordingly. Anyhow, thanks to all who responded.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that this is true from a couple of grad students already, though I dunno, I guess it's still a little hard to believe that they care so little about standardized tests (though it probably makes sense since standardized tests don't evaluate much anyway). I have some pretty solid research experience in a chem lab, improving an algorithm for the purposes of drug discovery. Supposedly we'll be publishing a paper soon, hopefully by the end of the summer if all goes to plan accordingly. Anyhow, thanks to all who responded.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like it will help a lot. You should also be thinking about who you're going to get to write letters of reccomendation for you. Asking for 3 letters seems pretty standard. So in addition to the guy you're working for right now I'd try and develop a good relationship with at least 2 other profs.