Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 05:39 PM

Default AK hand push it

opponent is a nit, possibly 2+2.
Do we like?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $75.20
BB: $49.60
<font color="black">Hero (UTG): $114.15</font>
MP: $101.50
CO: $105.20
BTN: $103.95

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $4.00</font>, MP calls $4.00, 4 folds

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($9.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $6.80</font>, MP calls $6.80

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($23.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $15.00</font>, <font color="red">MP raises to $45.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $103.35
Old 05-30-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: AK hand push it

Yeah, why not? I think that this play is probably breakeven or close to it. Just do it.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 PM

I reckon he's gonna have to fold about 30% of the time to make this break even, any more is gravy. So it's probably pretty close but depends on what kind of nit u have.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 PM

another line would be calling turn and c/f any nonclub?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
another line would be calling turn and c/f any nonclub?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, the "breakeven" part is alot of FE against a nitty player. Calling is thus not breakeven
Old 05-30-2007, 06:55 PM

I check the turn.

edit: I'm bored, I'll explain.

some of villains range on the flop is a float so it can induce worse hands to bet. we minimize our loss vs a flush with a cc, and have plenty of outs to improve on the river if he does have us beat. I would really hate to bet the turn and get raised off my hand, and create a big pot OOP with one pair (and a draw that has very little implied odds)
Old 05-30-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check the turn.

some of villains range on the flop is a float so it can induce worse hands to bet. we minimize our loss vs a flush with a cc, and have plenty of outs to improve on the river if he does have us beat. I would really hate to bet the turn and get raised off my hand, and create a big pot OOP with one pair (and a draw that has very little implied odds)

[/ QUOTE ]

*I like to bet, it makes me feel powerful.
*We're not getting raised off our hand either since we're pushing
*And I don't want this: "some of villains range on the flop is a float". I hate it, so I bet a lot of "scary" turns ( ---&gt; and pushing more turns since I'll be raised more often) .
*River will not go CC most of the time
Old 05-30-2007, 07:12 PM

A nit has a flush here a lot of the time. I'd probably c/c turn.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

*I like to bet, it makes me feel powerful.
*We're not getting raised off our hand either since we're pushing
*And I don't want this: "some of villains range on the flop is a float". I hate it, so I bet a lot of "scary" turns ( ---&gt; and pushing more turns since I'll be raised more often) .
*River will not go CC most of the time

[/ QUOTE ]

What do we do here if the villain shoves???
No way that you can justify a call there vs villains range.

I would really hate to bet the turn and get raised off my hand, and create a big pot OOP with one pair (and a draw that has very little implied odds)

This is the part of the thread that you should have been paying attention to here in the post. By betting the turn vs c/c the turn we are creating a larger pot with a 1 pair hand, and our draw when it does hit is probably not going to get paid off.

Now you may like to bet because it makes you feel powerful, but NL is a game of postion and relative strength. OOP you need a much stronger hand to bet into this turn card here than in position. Playing a hand OOP like you advocate is just a great recipe for any decent player to put you in a large pot with a marginal holding. But hey if you like betting cause it makes your @#$% bigger than more power to you. Personally I want to win monies in this game, so I try to control the amount of money I am risking in a marginal spot.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A nit has a flush here a lot of the time. I'd probably c/c turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like a turncall unless river is Check/check. i gather that you're folding to a bet virtually every time the river bricks. So you're drawing to a club, and you'll never get value from it. If villain is decent he will 2barrel a lot, so river won't go Check/Check (unless you're beat by 2p or something). Might as well fold turn.

I know this is not waterproof, since villain will be bluffing river we will call more et c.

My point is I'd rather have a plan for the hand and get it in on a netrualEV play, than have to guess ranges on a really scary board with no info except that hes probably a nit.

It will be too easy for villain to just take our money on the river if he's any good