Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Default Raise, fold or call?

Button was the big stack at the table. Cut-off was a regular stealer and was called by the button. Small blind folded. UTG and UTG+1 had limped.

I elected not to call because I was afraid that one of the early limpers would resteal (there were constant resteals at this table) and wreck my implied odds to flop a set.

Therefore, I saw this situation as raise or fold. If I raised and was called by the big stack, I didn't really want to play a large pot heads-up out of position with the big stack. Also, a pot sized raise would have been about 30% of my stack. I really felt like I would need to raise more than that just to get the pot heads up and that would have pot committed me.

What's my play?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t30/t60
9 players
Converter

MP+1 (t3,885)
CO (t2,140)
B (t7,790)
SB (t2,925)
HERO (t2,880)
UTG (t2,930)
UTG+1 (t4,345)
UTG+2 (sitting out)
MP (t890)

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls t60
UTG+1 calls t60
3 folds
CO raises to t180
Button calls t180
Small blind folds
Big blind?
(pot was t570)
Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Raise, fold or call?

Don't even mess around with a hand like this at an aggro table with a bunch of limpers behind. Your only reasonable move is to go all in or to fold, and I would lean towards folding. You can't play this hand after the flop with that many players unless you hit your 8 or it comes all low cards under 8. You have a decent amount of chips, so you don't need to take a risk with a marginal hand like this. I recommend just fold.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 PM

Call for set value.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:47 PM

shove or fold

Calling sucks as others are still to act
Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 PM

just call. I know the major question here is it worth the risk to limp knowing this has been a restealing crazed table. answer definitely yes. it costs you $120 to call and the pot is already turning into a juicy one. if you flop a set you almost always going to double up and maybe triple up and sometimes even better.

These situations to do not come often so the implied odds here are insane. if utg or utg+1 raises only like 300 more and everyone calls then you still have an awesome spot to call.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:56 PM

Do you guys really think that the limpers will raise if we call?? Hero is getting like 5 to 1 and with implied odds this is such an easy call with 88 in a multiway pot. This is a great spot to call for only 120 more and stack someone if we flop a set. I don't like pushing with our stack size.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:08 PM

I think I call even knowing there have been re-raises in the past. As has already been said, if a re-raise comes and is light enough, then you can still call for set value. The only time I'd fold it is if the re-raises were

1) almost guaranteed to come, and
2) were always large enough that I wouldn't want to call.

Otherwise, I say call and see what happens.

--TFGoose
Old 05-30-2007, 04:16 PM

There's a big difference between re-steals and limp re-raises. Have they been limp re-raising every hand? That's nuts...

Anyway, I don't see how you can afford to not call here. It's 120 into a pot of a bazillion. Also, as agro as these guys are your implied odds are huge. Finally, if you call and one of the limpers shoves you get to see if CO actually has a hand before you make your decision. I may be missing something, but this seems like an easy call, and I hate every other option.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:58 PM

Not sure I get this as it seems like a very simple call. you have two utg limpers who could easily have limped with monsters plus the initial raiser raised two utg limpers, you clearly have enough odds to call for set value, if either reraise you can get away pretty easily.

easy easy call and then fold less you hit the flop
Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM

I would just call, if you consider there is a 50% chance you get raised then your investment is in fact 240 (cause you have to fold one time in 2)and you are still geting enough value for set mining as one of the loose-maniacs should pay you off if you hit. But well if you do get repoped your hand wasnt good anyway most of the time, so by just calling instead of raising you saved yourself money.

A raise to like 600 is horrible cause most of the time you will get one caller or even worse two, and have to act first with a hand that is very hard to play postflop.

All in is the worst option based on the risk-reward. And folding probably a bit to passive, unless you almost sure to get repoped.