Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Is it against the rules to reveal your hand after flopping the nuts?

That is if 1) your table image is clean; and 2) you flop the nut straight or flush, where you think someone else has flopped top set, and you are the top two chip leaders at the table, how do you get them off that set? Can you just tell them on a flop of 9, 8, 6 rainbow that you have T,7, arguing that you have them beat and they need more cards to beat you? And then you push all-in?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 PM

Default Re: Is it against the rules to reveal your hand after flopping the nuts?

LOL Why would you want them to fold? And even if it weren't against the rules, which it is, wouldn't you feel an ethical responsibility to the other players not to do it?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Is it against the rules to reveal your hand after flopping the nut

Yeah, that's true. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I guess the reason I'd want to get her off that hand is because if the board pairs up and she sucks out on me then the risk is that I'm out, essentially. Which is what happened to me, of course. Twice. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 PM

Yes, if it were a multi-way pot, but we were head's up.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:08 AM

No, I mean if there were some benefit to you by turning your cards up, and obv. there is a massive benefit to your opponent, then at whose expense does it come? The other ppl. in the tourney, of course. It's the same as saying out loud "let's all check this down so that the shortstack will go out on the bubble." It's unethical and not allowed.

Eventually you will learn that in order to get the top money in tourneys...the 1st and 2nd place money...you need to risk your chips throughout the tourney. If you can get your chips all-in vs the CL with the nuts you do it as fast as you can and if he sucks out, that's poker.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, if it were a multi-way pot, but we were head's up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be true in most cash games (though different rooms may rule differently), but standard tournament rules would always make this illegal since other players have a vested interest in the outcome of the hand, whether they are in it or not.

And as others have implied, if you want a fold here you need to, well, realize that you don't want a fold here. If you are playing against decent players, they aren't just going to stack off against you with second pair when you are way ahead. Sure there's something to be said for passing up small edges (and how much there is to it is a topic of some debate), but this is by no means a small edge. Do you want a flush draw+overcards to fold against your set?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I mean if there were some benefit to you by turning your cards up, and obv. there is a massive benefit to your opponent, then at whose expense does it come? The other ppl. in the tourney, of course. It's the same as saying out loud "let's all check this down so that the shortstack will go out on the bubble." It's unethical and not allowed.

Eventually you will learn that in order to get the top money in tourneys...the 1st and 2nd place money...you need to risk your chips throughout the tourney. If you can get your chips all-in vs the CL with the nuts you do it as fast as you can and if he sucks out, that's poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, now I understand.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you want a flush draw+overcards to fold against your set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if they suck out on me. Otherwise, no. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]