Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Most obscure, least known baseball rule

The amount of people who have no idea what the infield fly rule is surprises me.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The amount of people who have no idea what the infield fly rule is surprises me.

[/ QUOTE ]

the amount of people that dont realize that there is no IFR with just a man on 1st or with 1st and 3rd amazes me
Old 05-30-2007, 03:59 PM

I play (and umpire) in the local men's league, and I'd estimate only one out of 8 or 10 know the infield fly rule. And half these guys have played baseball at the college or professional or major league level.

It's actually pretty sad. Baseball players as a rule have a very loose understanding of the rules.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to start a post about this.

The Infield Fly rule is really simple to me, yet it's held up as something super confusing that only the geekiest of sports geeks understand.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:02 PM

Infield fly and dropped third strikes (WRT first base occupation) are two things that are so simple yet so easily misunderstood.

There are a lot of really stupid, obscure equipment rules that I honestly don't bother learning. If someone actually questions a player's glove width they're going to have to cite a specific rule and give me a ruler in order for it to have any chance of being enforced.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:06 PM

- There is no infield fly on a bunt. The bunt can hang in the air for a minute or could be a high fly ball to short, doesn't matter.

- On an appeal play: Let's say there is a man on second and the batter singles to center, the runner on second misses third and the batter stays on first. If the runner is smart and the run scored means a lot in the game what should happen is that when time is called and the pitcher steps off to throw to third--before he throws, before he even steps off the runner should take off for second and give himself up as an out. If the pitcher doesn't go to third base as his first act during the appeal he loses his right to appeal and the run counts and no pitchers know this rule so they will always go after the runner out of instinct to get a baserunner and not knowing the rule. This is also why you never call time on an appeal play, you appeal during the actual play.

- The first 45 feet to first base are the runner's to do whatever he wants with, the last half he has to follow the line to the bag. Next time you watch a game notice the chalk line is different to first than anywhere else. This started back in the turn of the century when it was legal for runners to just plow over first baseman which was quickly realized as ridiculous so they made a line going to the outside of the bag. But your first 45 feet you can use to your advantage like w/ bunts, getting to the cut of the grass to ruin the site of the first baseman, or on a dropped third strike running to the outside which creates not only a terrible throwing angle for the catcher but once again makes it tough on the first baseman b/c the ball is coming out of nowhere.

- The baseline is a rule that most people don't understand. Most people think it is just always an X amount of distance to the left or right of the line. Well it is 3 feet to the left or right of the baseline but ONLY when a tag is being applied (umpires use an arm length to gauge distance), when there isn't a tag being applied a runner can do whatever he pleases. When he rounds first he can go out in right field if he thought it were necessary, obviously that would ridiculous. The baseline rule is only used maybe 2-3 times a game, other than that it basically isn't a rule.

- One more thing on an appeal play: If you appeal to a bag and throw the ball away it isn't a big deal b/c you can just go get the ball and appeal again and everything is gravy. But if you appeal and throw the ball into an obstruction such as a tarp or into the stands (which has happened) you lose your right to appeal.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- On an appeal play: Let's say there is a man on second and the batter singles to center, the runner on second misses third and the batter stays on first. If the runner is smart and the run scored means a lot in the game what should happen is that when time is called and the pitcher steps off to throw to third--before he throws, before he even steps off the runner should take off for second and give himself up as an out. If the pitcher doesn't go to third base as his first act during the appeal he loses his right to appeal and the run counts and no pitchers know this rule so they will always go after the runner out of instinct to get a baserunner and not knowing the rule. This is also why you never call time on an appeal play, you appeal during the actual play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to have a vague recolection of the St. Louis Cardinals doing something similar to this during the Whitey Herzog era in order to keep a run on the board. I think it was that with 2 outs a runner missed third, scored, and the batter/runner intentionally tried to take an extra base and get thrown out in order to keep that run on the board. Something like that. Anyone know?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- There is no infield fly on a bunt. The bunt can hang in the air for a minute or could be a high fly ball to short, doesn't matter.

- The first 45 feet to first base are the runner's to do whatever he wants with, the last half he has to follow the line to the bag. Next time you watch a game notice the chalk line is different to first than anywhere else. This started back in the turn of the century when it was legal for runners to just plow over first baseman which was quickly realized as ridiculous so they made a line going to the outside of the bag. But your first 45 feet you can use to your advantage like w/ bunts, getting to the cut of the grass to ruin the site of the first baseman, or on a dropped third strike running to the outside which creates not only a terrible throwing angle for the catcher but once again makes it tough on the first baseman b/c the ball is coming out of nowhere.

- The baseline is a rule that most people don't understand. Most people think it is just always an X amount of distance to the left or right of the line. Well it is 3 feet to the left or right of the baseline but ONLY when a tag is being applied (umpires use an arm length to gauge distance), when there isn't a tag being applied a runner can do whatever he pleases. When he rounds first he can go out in right field if he thought it were necessary, obviously that would ridiculous. The baseline rule is only used maybe 2-3 times a game, other than that it basically isn't a rule.

- One more thing on an appeal play: If you appeal to a bag and throw the ball away it isn't a big deal b/c you can just go get the ball and appeal again and everything is gravy. But if you appeal and throw the ball into an obstruction such as a tarp or into the stands (which has happened) you lose your right to appeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick question on appeals: What happens if the appeal is on the game-winning run in the bottom of the 9th? I don't know if I've ever seen this happen. Do the players stay out on the field, wait for a batter to come up or the umpire to signal to start the next play?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:20 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

There's no 'broke his wrists' or 'crossed the plate' or whatever. If the appeal is made on a check swing the question is, in the opinion of the umpire, did the batter attempt to strike at the ball.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's no 'broke his wrists' or 'crossed the plate' or whatever. If the appeal is made on a check swing the question is, in the opinion of the umpire, did the batter attempt to strike at the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not that kind of appeal.