Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Default Ruling on a hand at the Taj

Played at the Taj on Memorial Day from about 2-8. An incident occured while I was at the table and I was just wondering what others thought would be the correct ruling.

Sitting at a pretty typical 3-6 table. At the end of one hand the river card is a jack, making it the highest card across the board. There are 2 players left in the hand at this point. They check it down. One player throws his cards face up, and they inadvertently flip back over face down. The dealer puts his hand into the muck.

The other player then tables J8o showing just top pair. The player who hand his hand mucked then gets off saying that he had KJ for a winning hand and that the dealer mucked his hand mistakenly. The players go at it for a while and the floor is eventually called.

One player claims that he saw the mucked hand and it was indeed KJ. The floor is leaning towards giving the pot to the man with J8, though, saying that the other hand was mucked and there was nothing that could be done. Eventually, the men agreed to chop the pot.

I was just wondering what anyone else thought the ruling should be. thanks.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Ruling on a hand at the Taj

Because they inadvertently flipped over the dealer should not have auto mucked his hand and the floor should have made an effort to check the muck - especially if the dealer mucked the cards on top. It would have been easy to do. Failing that I think that a chopped pot is fair.

Oh. Dealer gets KITN!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 PM

This one could go either way. Obviously, if it can be established that a KJ was tabled, he gets the pot. How sure was the independent player about the KJ? Was he truly independent?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:45 PM

A player making a claim to a pot should turn his cards face up on the table. Not throw them.

If the dealer saw the cards flip on accident he should have givin the player a chance to turn them up.

Maybe the dealer was looking at the other player and turned and saw two cards
face down in the middle of the table. Looks like a muck from there.

Better to turn them up and hold on to them till the pot is being pushed your way.