Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: do your friends do this

Do guys have phone convos of more than a minute unless its uber important (work etc)?

Maybe its just a Northern England thing, but no one i know has long drawn out conversations on the phone unless its something that just cant wait - and even then its likely finished within 5 minutes.

Also, i believe in the 'leave the room' policy - you dont turn down the TV/radio if you get a call when you arent alone, you go find a quiet spot in the next room or you live with the background noise.

In the case of a car ride with friends with music on, assuming its not super urgent news or work, then just ring the person back.

If the car is silent, and no one is talking, i guess thats one of the exceptions to the rule - but thats only because you arent interupting anything for anyone else.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:19 PM

My friends do to this, but it's because a long time ago it was made clear that it's ok.

Doing it without some kinda expressed permission, kinda dickish.

Getting worked up about it/not giving permission, more dickish.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of world do you live in where it is acceptable for women to sit in the front seat? Next you will be saying that they even drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is disturbingly standard in some circles. Years ago I got into a bit of a dust-up with a chick who helped herself to the front seat even though I was 6+ inches taller than her and there was far less room in the back. She acted indignant and started carrying on about chivalry. Argh.

oddjob, I could see it being different if the person taking/making the call is the driver, since they are the one ferrying everyone around. Now if you're driving someone and they decide to make a couple of non-critical calls, then that's annoying.

I have a friend who does something even more annoying though: he routinely helps himself to my AC and radio and adjusts it as he pleases without asking me. Typical "only child" behavior.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:33 PM

In my circles it would be very unacceptable for the woman to sit in the front. I even had an arguement with a 9 month pregnant women where i insisted she sit up front. She refused.

As for the cell phone thing: If its a good friend that u spend a lot of time with then its fine to use cellphones. Or if its work related. Other than that meh I dont really care for it but people are very busy nowadays
Old 05-29-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What kind of world do you live in where it is acceptable for women to sit in the front seat? Next you will be saying that they even drive.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is disturbingly standard in some circles. Years ago I got into a bit of a dust-up with a chick who helped herself to the front seat even though I was 6+ inches taller than her and there was far less room in the back. She acted indignant and started carrying on about chivalry. Argh.

oddjob, I could see it being different if the person taking/making the call is the driver, since they are the one ferrying everyone around. Now if you're driving someone and they decide to make a couple of non-critical calls, then that's annoying.

I have a friend who does something even more annoying though: he routinely helps himself to my AC and radio and adjusts it as he pleases without asking me. Typical "only child behavior."

[/ QUOTE ]

what adds to the annoyance is that he is the driver. and not a very good one when he's not on the phone, so you can imagine when he's on the phone.

i've accepted that she's a prima donna. i just sit in the back automatically, cause i don't really give a crap. i'm not 18 any more and sitting in front makes no difference to me. in fact, when we go to pick her up, i'll just move to the back.

the fact that she, he and i all know she's falling asleep in the front is kinda annoying cause then the driver and me can't really have a good conversation.

also, we had my ipod on and she would skip every song she didn't know which was like 4/5 of them. when my battery died, and she put in some mix tape she gave him, i was very tempted to ask her to fast forward a number of songs.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:49 PM

I'm amazed at how rude seemingly normal people can be with cellphones. One time I was walking home from work with a co-worker (we live near each other) and mid-conversation (I was literally in the middle of a sentence) he answers his cell phone without saying a word - no "sorry, I have to take this" or even "hold on". For a guy that seemed pretty non-douchey in general, I was shocked.

I think that any time two people are together (in a car, talking, eating together) it's rude to take a call without at least acknowledging the other person first, and it's rude to stay on the phone any longer than absolutely necessary. In a car, it's always rude to a take an unnecessary call, because inevitably the whole car will go silent while everyone listens to half of an inane conversation.

I'm with Phil on the "leave the room" policy - if I take a cell call, I always do whatever I can to distance myself from the people I'm around before answering.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:00 PM

it's very obnoxious - unless it were work-related or to set up future plans, i'd be very annoyed, maybe i'm a nit.

the only time it wouldn't be super obnoxious is if it's a friend who lives far away that you haven't talked to in a long time.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:03 PM

phill,

what, no male human you know ever has a conversation on the phone? you never, like, speak to someone and catch up, etc? truly, i find this odd.

slip,

you seem like a real class act.

tuq,

in many cars the front seat can be moved far forward. i understand this isn't always the case. a shorter girl sitting in the front and not moving the seat up is pretty [censored] move. i think that the fairly unique case is if there's a guy, his gf, and another friend or two going somewhere in the bf's car, then the other people just have to sit in the back unless the girl chooses otherwise. not saying it's a great thing, just the way it seems to be.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:04 PM

I do this to my g/f and she hates it. I don't see why it's a big deal unless you're interrupting a serious conversation.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't get married [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]