Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2007, 11:06 AM

Default 5-10 NL - stacking off with AA

I am normally a 2-5 player, but this weekend I was in AC and decided to buy into a 5-10 game for 1k. First hand someone bets 100 blind, I make it 250 with KK, and the small blind puts me all in. I call and double up. He had AQ.

As we play over the next three hours I chip up to 2500 and the small blind in the above hand proves to be a pretty wild and unpredictable player. His chip stack is all over the place. He raises pf with 53c in EP and catches a straight. He check raises (from 200 to 600) with 73 on a Q72 board and calls an all in re-raise to 900. He wins. He raises a number of hands to 100 pf blind. The money doesn't seem to matter too much to him and I generally stay out of his way.

Four hours in this guy makes it 60 in EP. He has 5k in chips and I have 2.4k and he's raising quite a few hands at this stage. Its folded to me on the button and I make it 250 with AA. My hand is pretty much face and he calls, which he is likely to do with any two cards in an effort to stack me. The flop is 678 he checks. I bet the pot - 500. He min check raises to 1000. The pot is now 2000 and I have 1650 left. I push.

I lost the hand, but would like some feedback.

Given the chip stacks, is it possible to get away from this?

Next time, I will focus on keeping the pot smaller, calling on the button rather than raising. Or betting 50% on the flop rather than 500.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: 5-10 NL - stacking off with AA

[ QUOTE ]

Next time, I will focus on keeping the pot smaller, calling on the button rather than raising. Or betting 50% on the flop rather than 500.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL NO
Old 05-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Sorry Praetor, are you saying you would have played this the same?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM

yes you played fine
Old 05-29-2007, 11:37 AM

make him pay for his mistakes and raise more preflop as he seems like the type that calls anyways, i would have made it 500 atleast and then push any flop.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:49 PM

You obviously made it 250 because of this guy calling with just about any 2 cards. You got what you wanted with a call. You know that he knows you have a big pocket pair. With a min. check raise, this was your chance to fold. I'm not saying I could make the fold, but it was your way out knowing your stack might be in big jepordy. You did fine, just unlucky, and you had a big decision to make after the check raise.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As we play over the next three hours I chip up to 2500 and the small blind in the above hand proves to be a pretty wild and unpredictable player. His chip stack is all over the place. He raises pf with 53c in EP and catches a straight. He check raises (from 200 to 600) with 73 on a Q72 board and calls an all in re-raise to 900. He wins. He raises a number of hands to 100 pf blind. The money doesn't seem to matter too much to him and I generally stay out of his way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the way I choose to play against these players. Stay out of their way, they're dangerous.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:59 PM

min raise seems like a monster hand on this flop; I woulda folded to be honest. U said ur hand wuz face up neway, so he wouldn't make a play on u here with a hand worse than AA I would say... so yea, fold flop. Besides, if you shove, your often drawing pretty much dead to af lopped straight or 60/40 with something like 89, which I dont think minraises this flop. BTW, bigger reraise preflop with these deep stacks. But yea, bet folding this flop is ok its SOO coordinated and u guys r deep and even tho he's loose, you said it urself ur hand is face up so he can play accordingly. BTW, don't say results (u lost).
Old 05-29-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
min raise seems like a monster hand on this flop; I woulda folded to be honest. U said ur hand wuz face up neway, so he wouldn't make a play on u here with a hand worse than AA I would say.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, seriously.