Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 03:46 AM

Default 5CD - trip queens, heavy action

Here's another hand I played at PokerStars. The first thing I noticed about SB was that he was a calling station. He actually pointed it out himself after he got bluffed once. It looked like he was on tilt or something, and he had been raising on most hands lately. I reraised with aces up once, and he called and drew four cards. He called me down after the draw, but I don't know what he had.

I didn't have any solid reads on BB. He had everyone covered nicely [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. It didn't look like he was totally terrible, so I guess he's not calling raises with really weak hands.

Limit 5 Card Draw ($0.50/$1) (converter)

SB ($11), Seat 6
BB ($1512.45), Seat 1
Hero ($35.55), Seat 4
Button ($23.15), Seat 5

SB posts $0.25. BB posts $0.50.

Hero is UTG with [5s Qh 2h Qc Jd]

Round 1: (1.50 SB)

<font color="red">Hero raises. </font><font color="#666666">Button folds. </font><font color="red">SB raises. </font><font color="green">BB calls. </font><font color="green">Hero calls. </font>
SB takes 1. BB takes 3. Hero discards 5s 2h Jd.

Hero has [Qh Qc Ad 6s Qd]

Round 2: (4.50 BB)

<font color="red">SB bets. </font><font color="red">BB raises. </font><font color="green">Hero ? </font>

What would you do here? Is folding an option you would consider for more than a second (if not, would it be an option if BB is a very good player)?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:37 AM

Default Re: 5CD - trip queens, heavy action

Preflop raise? Why? For me easy fold after raise
Old 05-22-2007, 08:05 AM

Well, if SB has been raising most hands recently, then he could have almost any 2-pr. BB must have AA to cold-call a 3-bet (even that's dodgy).

Postdraw, SB bets his 2pr for value against yours and BB's starting pairs. BB has caught and raises - could be Aces up or could be trip Aces, more likely the former.

As much as I would hate calling 2 bets with a maniac still to act behind me, I think that's what you have to do. You're good against a big chunk of SB and BB's range. And you fold to the whipsaw, obviously.

The only situation I'm not sure of is if SB 3bets, and BB calls. I guess pot odds would compel a call, but it would feel like a crying call.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:30 PM

BB will show you AAA/KKK very often here.

If you know him to be solid, he's not calling 3-bets predraw without AA/KK, and it sure looks like he improved. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
IMO, he is SOMETIMES raising AA-up here, and ALWAYS raising AAA.

Lets say BB has notated SB as one who 1draws trips, or who semibluffs flush draws, etc. I can see him just flat calling postdraw with AA-up, and try to let you overcall (you draw 3 too!) With AAA though... he'd definitely raise.

I dont think i'd really fold in a game though...I'd call here for 4:1. the SB should be dead money, and QQQ beats so many hands, all but AAA/KKK and freak boats. WAY too much chance you misread a guy and they are just lunatic spewing. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Call, hope SB tosses in a call too. Expect showdown 7755 vs AAA vs QQQ.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:33 PM

I think he has 1 of 4 hands. Aces up, Kings up or trip aces or kings.
so it's $2 to win a $10 pot. You have to be right just 1-4 times. I call....
Old 05-22-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop raise? Why? For me easy fold after raise

[/ QUOTE ]

4 handed. Seems like a standard raise?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:39 PM

I would just call the last bet.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:18 AM

Oh yeah, results. I was just preparing to raise SB, but when BB raised I had to reconsider. I thought that I wouldn't have called a bet and a raise predraw with a pair, but if my opponent was any good he probably had aces before the draw. Calling with kings seems very questionable but I should be careful about giving my opponents too much credit for playing reasonable.

I don't think I would have raised with aces up after the draw, so I had to decide if BB would do that. I did not think that he would raise as a bluff here. A point that I considered was that the probability of making trip aces was less because I got one of the aces myself.

I called, and SB overcalled as anticipated. BB did have aces up, and SB didn't show his hand.

I think the raise with aces-up is interesting. Calling with the intention of inducing an overcall is the play I would have chosen. Since SB is known to be a calling station, I can understand that raising is an option to extract maximum value here. BB should definitely fold if I reraise, and probably most of the time if SB reraises. If that's his plan, I can understand a raise with aces-up but I'm still not sure if that's the best play.