Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Correct amount to bluff?

I was reading The Theory of Poker by Sklansky, and there is a section on the correct amount to bluff. Apparently, if your opponents pot odds are 3:1, my odds of bluffing should be 3:1.

This isn't too difficult to do in stud (though mastering the activity could take time). How in the world could I do this in no-limit hold 'em?

It just seems counter productive to bluff on a flush draw when it's obvious in hold 'em. In stud, it's not so obvious because the final card is face down, but in hold 'em, the other players can easily note that there aren't enough cards for a flush on the board.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:39 AM

Default Re: Correct amount to bluff?

I like to bet between 60-100% of the pot on a nice flush draw on the flop against 1, maybe 2 tight opponents. If I have a good draw, I'll throw in a bet that usually will give you a check on the turn. If he re-raises, I like to go all-in if you're getting 2-1 on your money.

When you throw out that bet on the flop, and you think you're opponent will fold a percentage of the time, you have fold equity. Basically a percentage of the time, you'll force a fold which improves your overall winning percentage for the hand.

It all depends though. If you get re-raised, you can muck it. I like taking taking the extra card though and maintaining the aggression at the table. But if you're seen as a loose aggressive player, sometimes you'll get re-raised on suspicion alone. That makes the move (and any other bluff or semi-bluff) less profitable.

To answer your question though, the price of bluffing is different against every opponent you play against. You just have to keep paying attention what amount scares your opponents and bet right around the minimum amount to get max effectiveness for your dollar.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Correct amount to bluff?

Obviously you wouldn't be representing a flush in hold'em if there isn't a flush available. But if you are chasing a straight, and the flush hits, you can bluff that, or vice versa.