Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Ok,ok.... yah

Ok, so i read sshe and it is really jam packed with good edvice. Though I read it over and over again i still don't get it .... can someone explain how effective odds work?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Ok,ok.... yah

Oh... and also how do you apply it corectly in a game?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 PM

I'm pretty new myself, but I believe effective odds are the odds you are looking at from the pot right now. For example if after the river is dealt, the pot is $40 and someone bets $4 the effective odds are 10 to 1.

You would use them to make decisions when you don't think future betting will occur. For example if you have a flush draw on the turn. With the pot $40 as above, you know that you will fold to a bet if you miss, and assume you know your opponent will fold to a bet if the last flush card is dealt.
So if it is bet $4 to you, you are getting 10:1, but your odds of hitting are, I believe about 4:1, so you are getting the odds you need and a call is correct. On the other hand if it a $4 bet into a $6 pot, your effective odds be 3:2 which is less than the odds you need to call so you would fold.

I hope that's clear someone with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 PM

It's just a different way of saying "implied odds", which means adding the number of bets you expect to win on future streets to your immediate pot odds. The classic example is calling a raise preflop with a small or mid pocket pair--while your immediate pot odds will very rarely be good enough to try and flop a set, when you do flop the set you're often going to win a huge pot. So your implied odds may make up the difference (especially in NL games).
Old 05-28-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty new myself, but I believe effective odds are the odds you are looking at from the pot right now. For example if after the river is dealt, the pot is $40 and someone bets $4 the effective odds are 10 to 1.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, those are immediate odds.

Effective odds are usually used in Limit holdem. They are the odds when you expect when you play the hand to the river and call both a flop and turn bet. In limit holdem, this is easy to figure out but in NL, the bet sizes can be range to all-in. So in NL, you can only calculate effective odds if you figure your opponent will be all-in.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:06 AM

thanks for your guys insight. that really cleared up the gap in my knowladge.