Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: \"minimum value\" on a car sale in california?

I've done it with people I don't even know to get them to pay me more money. But I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, you need to make sure you protect yourself.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well yeah, but even if they know, what can they do if the forms are filled out, is my question.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Go to Edmunds. Get the trade-in and 'private party' figures for the vehicle in poor condition and use that as a guide. If DVM says something, say it needed tires and a brake job etc (not motor, how did it pass smog?), so the price was reduced. But don't put $500 when it books for $6000.

They (CA DMV) didn't question me last time. It was "low", but not totally unreasonable. (half of Edmunds dealer price).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I just got done the other day at the DMV getting my CA license and registration. I was there for 3 hours so I heard a lot when I was there. Several people tried BSing a couple different tellers about why a car was sold for $1. Not one of them got off the hook.

I even had a hard time with them over my car being given to me as a gift from my parents. I would have been pissed had I had to pay sales tax because I bought the car originally, it was just put in my fathers name because I was still on his insurance policy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-28-2007, 01:39 PM

are you sure your state doesnt use blue book like every other state when dealing with taxes?

You can appeal and get it lowered if the car is in bad condition or should be valued at less but I dont think what you paid for it matters.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
well yeah, but even if they know, what can they do if the forms are filled out, is my question.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Go to Edmunds. Get the trade-in and 'private party' figures for the vehicle in poor condition and use that as a guide. If DVM says something, say it needed tires and a brake job etc (not motor, how did it pass smog?), so the price was reduced. But don't put $500 when it books for $6000.

They (CA DMV) didn't question me last time. It was "low", but not totally unreasonable. (half of Edmunds dealer price).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I just got done the other day at the DMV getting my CA license and registration. I was there for 3 hours so I heard a lot when I was there. Several people tried BSing a couple different tellers about why a car was sold for $1. Not one of them got off the hook.

I even had a hard time with them over my car being given to me as a gift from my parents. I would have been pissed had I had to pay sales tax because I bought the car originally, it was just put in my fathers name because I was still on his insurance policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah thanks. and how does that answer whether they will care if we apply for a gift transfer between two non-relatives? i'm just asking for other people's experiences.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:52 PM

It shows that they aren't gonna believe you when you say "hey this is my buddy and he's just giving me a car out of the goodness of his heart!"

fine, go for it, do what you like.

maybe the reason there aren't many people that have been through the same thing is

a) It is heavily state dependent which narrows you down to CA posters.

b) People just pay the damn taxes when they buy a car.