Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2007, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Called Chase to get my credit limit raised...

[ QUOTE ]
Or, I could get an extra month of interest on my 4 thousand dollars, and then pay the bill at the end of the month.

Yeesssshh....

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so you have the cash saved up - good job.

Other ideas -

1) See if the furniture store will make you a better deal if you pay cash - ask for an additional 5-10% off. That is way better than the 0.6% or so you'll get as a month's interest, and better still, you don't pay taxes on the discount. They should go for it because they won't have to pay the Visa/MC fee, and they won't have to worry about a chargeback.

2) Get the furniture on one of those "no-interest for a year" deals. Put the cash in a savings account, then set up auto-payments to maximize your interest earned (pay the minimum until the last month, then pay off the balance). But be sure to pay it all off before the promotional period expires, or you'll get a really nasty surprise.....
Old 05-28-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Re: Called Chase to get my credit limit raised...

I'm self employed, but I have tax returns showing 6 figure income for the last decade plus (ranging from $150k-$800k per year). Last year I refinanced my house so I could put more money to work in my business. M&I Bank loaned me $650k on a 15 year loan, simultaneous with a $200k home equity line of credit being opened with another bank. My only other debt is a $40K credit card which is paid off every month just so I can earn cash back (no late payments on any debt, ever), and a two year old $60k car loan at 4% (only have it because I can earn more than 4% investing the money), both in place when M&I gave me the $650k. I have enough assets in my brokerage account to pay off all of this debt tomorrow.

Since all my cash is in my brokerage account, I regularly transfer cash over to M&I checking to pay the bills. I tend to keep large cash balances in checking at M&I and decide to get overdraft protection so I can stop doing that (never bounced a check but don't want to start). I apply for a tiny little $2,500 credit card from M&I, and link that for overdraft protection.

I am denied. Too much debt they say.